Keep D790 or trade it for thermal?

John336

Hi guys, first post other than my intro.

I have a Night Optics D790 (fixed 6X magnification). I love it. It does what I need which is shooting coyotes from 100 - 500 yards (most around 200).

I’ve decided to buy a 60mm IR Hunter because reading here, it sounds like I’ll bag more dogs.

Dilemma:

I’m not rich. These are huge purchases which require saving and selling some other gun stuff.

So... do I keep the D790 and save for a lot longer to afford the thermal, or is the D790 going to sit in the safe all the time once I get thermal? If so, I’ll sell it and get the thermal much sooner.

Thanks for any guidance!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've used a 60mm trijicon but don’t own one. I know with my thermal shots beyond the point blank range of my rifle have been tough for me.

For me, range estimation is very difficult with thermal. It’s much easier for me through an optic or night vision scope.

I have a D750, that I don’t really use anymore but I’m not getting rid of it.

I’d say keep your night vision but also consider getting a thermal scanner to supplement your night vision scope. It should be cheaper too.

Bowfisher

LSB Member
If it was me, I'd buy a cheaper thermal to scan with and continue to use the NV on yotes. I don't have 100's of hours of field testing like some on here, but I'm not convinced of the thermals for longer ranges on small targets. Temperature issues, POI with zoom change issues are two major points IMO. Whacking groups of hogs is a different matter, thermal all the way. Precise work at 150yds and beyond, I'm sticking with NV until I'm proven otherwise.