Is a hog in the sights worth more than a sounder in the next field?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is a sort of philosophical question that has shifted into reality for me on several occasions. Of course, it is a play on "A bird in the hand..." and the problem seems to defy logic as there is no one absolutely right answer and there are risk/reward considerations that come into play. So I was curious how other people resolve this issue when they are hunting.

Of course, as a hog hunter, you probably would like a crack at both the hog you have in your sights right now and at the sounder in the next field that you can see/know is there right now, but can't shoot at right now for some reason (distance, unsafe direction, etc.).

I have played this scenario on several occasions with most potential results.

I have shot the hog in the sights and managed to get to the next field where the sounder has disappeared.
I have shot the hog in the sights and managed to get to the next field and shoot members of the sounder.
I have skipped the hog in the sights and gotten to the next field and the sounder has disappeared.
I have skipped the hog in the sights and gotten to the next field and shot members of the sounder.
I have scanned the hogs in the next field trying to figure out if it is worth my while to go their first and had the hog that was in my sights disappear on me and then it turned out that getting to the sounder put me up wind and I got busted.
I have shot and hit the hog in my sights only to have it run off and be lost, and managed to get a couple from the sounder.
I have shot and hit the hog in my sights only to have it run off and be lost, and had the sounder disappear on me.

What seems to really compound matters is whether I am hunting alone, in a pair, or in a group.

Hunting singly, I have come to decide that playing a lone target (in my sights) is often my best chance for a definite success (shot, hit, and recovery) and that it is worthwhile to stalk the single or take my time to choose the absolute best shot possible to assure success. I would rather go home with a single good kill than to try to get to the sounder in the next field and risk coming away with no kills. However, in getting one kill and losing the sounder (which is common), I always wonder if I should not have gone after the sounder first, instead.

Paired hunting can go either way. Group hunting (when left to a vote) almost always opts to go for the sounder if it is at all possible.

Of course there are a lot of factors that come into play, but as a general operating philosophy, is a hog in the sights worth more to you than a sounder in the next field?

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We seldom run into that issue over here in the pineywoods, but when we do its pretty much gone all the ways you describe...We do seem to go after the herds the majority of the time unless the hog in sights is an extremely large boar. Cows play a large role here as well... they always turn into a thundering herd of very stupid and confused buffalo for some reason when they see people on foot at night, even though most herds are as gentle as can be in the daytime

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Group dynamics certainly come into play. When I'm alone, I go for the sure thing. There's no assurance (despite how easy Brian makes it look) that I'll get multiple hogs out of a sounder. However, when I'm with a buddy, the odds of getting multiple hogs increases exponentially and, other things being equal (likelihood that we can actually get to the sounder, safe shooting situations, etc.), we'll go for quantity.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is easy to play armchair quarterback after things go south. I would go for the sure thing and hope things work out from there.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I’m going to go with the one in my sights. Then like scrmblr go from there. I’ve tried to get fancy and ended up empty handed a few times.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Take the gift in your hand (er, sights), if the rest are dumb and dumber, score more. If not (so dumb), they'll be hungry the next time, and be back.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is why a carry a bolt gun with subs ear hole the one the others usually never run if more than 100 yards off.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I’ve been caring my 9 mm A.R. for that very reason this year and have successfully done it one time in the last four or five weeks.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
An interesting question…

In my 700 acre primary hunting grounds, eradication, of course, is impossible. Population control is the primary goal, so targeting sows is a critical strategy.

For this reason, I would pass on the lone hog as it is most likely a male. The sounder definitely has at least one breeding sow, with other potential female targets.

I shoot bolt action in fairly thick terrain, so if I’m going to take a shot, it should be at a female if possible.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great question but it is like which came first the chicken or the egg to me. LOL! Just whack and stack!