IR Laser/Illuminator thoughts

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am trying to decide which type of set up to go with. So I figured I would ask some of y'all that have extensive use with these systems.

Option #1
DBAL-D2
I like how it is a all in one unit and run off one battery. But it is pretty pricey when compared to option #2.

Option #2
Luna ELIR and LDI CQBL
Save quite a bit of cash and still achieve the same results, I think?

Can you guys give me a but more in site to help narrow down my decision. Pro's and con's of each option? And things I may not he thinking of.

BTW I going to Ident for my NV needs.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The DBAL D2 is an awesome unit that keeps things incredibly simple, but it has a couple of drawbacks.

1. Battery Life is terrible. About one hour runtime. Not a huge deal if you have a secondary IR illuminator like a Luna mounted on your helmet. The laser on the DBAL does not drain much battery, the drain comes from the built in illuminator.
2. Heavy

Do not have the CQB-L, but I do have the Luna. I keep the Luna on my helmet. The rails on the side of my OPS Core are in perfect alignment with my eyes so I have a hands free light to see on moonless nights. Sometimes I just us the LUNA on the helmet instead of using the illuminator on my DBAL. Battery life with the Luna is excellent. I get many hours worth of battery life with it.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have seen the DBAL D2 and Luna side by side. The luna spanks the DBAL when it comes to distance. The DBAL wins when it comes to the way it mounts. They Luna is held onto the rail mount with two small screws. These screws need to have blue loctite put on them. Once that is done you will no longer have issues. I use a NVEC Vital 2 IR laser for quick shots so I am unfamiliar with the CQB-L. I have seen the ITAL and OTAL along with the DBAL. All of them bloom without using an IR light to reduce it. Ident may be able to supply you with a neutral density filter to tame it down.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Luna kicks most of their butts. I use a lasermax IR laser right now it has worked well. Ill have to play with the other lasers before I can comment on them.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like I am narrowing down my options. I do plan to make the drive to Ident when I can find some time to make it up there, just wanted to do some research before the trip. Knowing Eric and Jason they will have plenty of toys for me to play with especially when I have a pocket full of cash.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Of course to reach to full potential for the luna you need to make a slight modification...

Then it is something that really shines (pun intended).

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The biggest draw back to the DBAL D2 is that no matter how you mount it the lasers are not inline with the bore. Mine is dead nuts at 50 yds, 100 it's 1" high and left. I really like the fact that is an all in 1 unit. I have not experienced it eating batteries as ppapago has.

As stated above the Luna is a really bright illuminator

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The laser would be mainly intended for those O SH*T moments and off the hip firing, or just general pointing. Anything with some distance will be done with the 3x/eotech.

I guess the only way I am going to make this decision is to put the units in my hands and see for myself.

But thanks for the input guys, it really helps.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am no expert by any means but I bought the DBal2 after listening to Eric and Jason show me pros and cons on the different units. Mine works well for me and have had no battery issues yet but I have nothing to compare it to. I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Just my .02 worth as there are much more qualified people with a ton more experience than I have.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I think I figured out why I had bad battery life with my DBAL. Rechargeable batteries of which after some reading should not be used in a DBAL. Gonna start using my stash of surefire lithium CR123s from now on.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The biggest draw back to the DBAL D2 is that no matter how you mount it the lasers are not inline with the bore. Mine is dead nuts at 50 yds, 100 it's 1" high and left. I really like the fact that is an all in 1 unit. I have not experienced it eating batteries as ppapago has.

As stated above the Luna is a really bright illuminator
+1 on that it lights up the night and at a good price.

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB

For the price, this illuminator is hard to beat.
I have one of these and have tested it with a N750, Photon 5X and Gen2 PVS.
It really wakes up all three quite well for the price.
Downside is it is only ON or OFF but it's not too bad as you can use the onboard IR for the N750 or Photon for closer range shots.
I also have a 3W 940Nm and a couple of Sightmark 805Nm Illuminators but the Streamlight seriously kicks their butts.

We were out Friday night, testing and evaluating night vision and the different illuminators....we weren't quite ready when the pigs showed up......
We were able to see and identify quite well with the Streamlight at over 300 yards with it on the N750.
It really stretched the legs of the Photon 5X...My nephew said he would be quite comfortable doing a 250 to 300 yard shot with it.
We were switching illuminators, making noise and talking when a pair of small sows came in about 8PM - fairly dark and it was still 4 or 5 hours before moon rise.
Luckily, we had just mounted the Streamlight on the rail of my *** 6.8 with the Photon 5X mounted on top and were looking around with it.
My nephew was testing that one and I had my other *** 6.8 with N750 mounted on it.
We were messing with the Streamlight, ohhhhing and ahhhing when they just strolled in.
We were on them pretty quickly and they didn't get to leave!
One is about 85-90 pounds and the second is 90-100...don't know who got which.

Not "bigguns" but it ended a long pig drought here!