Inexpensive, durable, versatile, portable and thermal compatible* ground blind.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
*Well, compatible with a thermal monocular… a scope would be a bit more challenging.

I prefer to hunt on the move, but needed two ground blinds on my primary hunting grounds: A pasture that becomes a marsh is a popular crossing and rooting area, and a feeder near a water tank with a phone game camera.

The latter is especially challenging because it is mostly surrounded by a berm; topping it for a shot creates motion and skylining that easily spooks hogs.

My multiple attempts with manufactured and homegrown materials for a ground blind meeting the above checklist of seemingly reasonable requirements ended in failure.

I like natural brush blinds, but they tend to attract snakes and those bigass black and yellow spiders with legs the size of a whip antenna that would make CW McCall proud.

Cloth material quickly ended up in a third stomach. (A cow’s curiosity is matched only by their stupidity).

Plywood required too much structure to support and was vulnerable to wind damage.

My solution in each location was a 4‘ x 8‘ section of wood lattice.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-202518776-_-202297456-_-N

About $25 each and lightweight enough to carry to site. Easily spray-painted if you’re into that.

It is easily secured with cable, rope, large zip ties or bungee cords, and can be trimmed as needed with a handsaw or loppers. (You do need to have a way to support it vertically; a couple of t-posts should do the trick if lacking in natural resources).

The lattice allow handheld thermal scanning through the holes. They provides enough cover for concealment, but still allow a breed to pass through.

Bonus: If it is well secured and the correct height, the top of the lattice can be used as a rifle support.

Marsh setup:

8400DEB8-56D0-4A63-8095-14F4053A659E.jpeg

776BFA04-5E12-4D75-A889-1153F9AD8DD9.jpeg

B2E1F791-6AC1-4369-8BB0-41ED6A360C4C.jpeg

Berm setup:

4FAB761C-A2C5-44A9-9E08-0C06FC86A361.jpeg

4A442648-F6BF-4180-9C08-4EF9FBD1C992.jpeg

Each of these has been up for three years with no need for additional work.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I likes it !!! You can also get it in dark green, made from plastic. Great stuff and a very fine idea there.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And it blends in so well....ish, lol
I am not sure about your blind but your writing is still the best!!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
paint or use the colored plastic ones, stand out like a sore thumb, but a good idea, helps protect in the rain too

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dan and Frank, I appreciate your candid critique.

The lattice panels actually ARE painted…I just digitally altered them to the natural factory color for demonstration purposes.

I brought in an artist from Appalachia who used artisanal materials to camouflage them, including these images from my favorite western painter:

D3A5FD7E-06C3-4348-93C2-E230B9CA32B3.jpeg

B5D87B6B-AD92-45C4-9BC4-1E4EC9A3921A.jpeg

To clarify, these are the images on MY side of the blinds.

Here's what's facing the hogs:

DA4BB0BD-F820-46B6-B8AC-C9651C931CAD.jpeg

2E34283D-40FB-4F8B-BF68-9957FAC0AF71.jpeg

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great idea. I've been needing some cover along pipeline ROWs and fire lanes for morning stalks. Definitely will set up a couple of these.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hard to focus sir, but it will keep the mind occupied!

jglass

LSB Member
Great idea. I have been trying to think of an easy way to construct a screen between myself and the hogs so I can sneak up on them. I often see hogs in my bait pile over 100 yards into the jungle from the road. What are the odds of the hogs seeing a person behind a lattice panel?

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In my experience...

If you control scent limit movement, you will be undetected. The only times I have been busted have been when I got sloppy and approached too quickly.

Mine have been up for years, and the locals are used to them. But painting their side is a good idea.

If the hogs are already in place, setting up a tripod costs time and motion, particularly on uneven ground.

If you've got a tree or fence post at the trellis, attaching a shooting rail can be advantageous for a quick shooting support.

Five bucks in the storage aisle at the hardware store should it; swing by plumbing for some pipe insulation for a little recoil padding.

7562C72D-C7D1-4CDE-B452-FA5B0ED74D0C.jpeg

E0E18430-63C5-4E19-A881-C76D2894F220.jpeg

Post a photo if you set one up...

Last edited: