Ideas?

WhoCares

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The place I hunt is 2500 acres and is basically a cattle ranch with the only crop being hay. I’ve hunted this place for 3 years and have never seen a Sow or piglets. I kill 15-20 Boars a year here and they are always by themselves and never over 200 lbs till just recently. In the last week I’ve killed 2 that were 300+, my question is why am I only seeing lone boars and no sows? Seem weird to me. Any ideas?

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Dunno, but here's a wild guess.

With no crops other than hay in the area, maybe there's insufficient food for Sows with litters. Or maybe the foods just better in other nearby areas. The boars might be roaming all over looking for mating opportunities.

The usual disclaimers apply, plus a few others I'll think of later.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Dunno, but here's a wild guess.

With no crops other than hay in the area, maybe there's insufficient food for Sows with litters. Or maybe the foods just better in other nearby areas. The boars might be roaming all over looking for mating opportunities.

The usual disclaimers apply, plus a few others I'll think of later.
You convinced me. I’ll buy that theory.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Something else to consider is that sows like thick cover for having piglets, good shady cool spots and need more water also.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The boars might be roaming all over looking for mating opportunities.

We call those "cruisers" and the fit the OP's description of not being over 200 lbs. They may not yet have any sort of established home range. These are often younger boars that are out and about trying to find a group to latch onto that isn't being serviced by a local neighborhood boar, or if there is a boar, one smaller than them.

jglass

LSB Member
I see mostly boars in Florida where I hunt. But the sows with piglets are around. The boars are typically loaners and roamers. They seem to just get around more than the sows with piglets.

I think I see 10 boars for every 1 sow with piglets. My trail camera sees sows and piglets all the time.

New Years eve I decided to go h0g hunting alone and to my surprise a sounder came into the bait pile. It was quite a thrill to see 10 or so hogs. I got 2 of them and tried for a third but missed.

Now I'm in Northern Illinois practicing shooting at moving targets. Check this out!!!!
This is actually lots of fun and not that difficult.

https://youtu.be/Ue3LxDRZ4Kw

https://youtu.be/w8fQ5IDQbzQ

Last edited: