Huntertown Arms Kestrel 556 v 7.5" M16. Or why we should reconsider putting a can under a rail!

SC-Texas

Texas Gun Trust
why we should reconsider putting a can under a rail!

New Video with slow motion of the failure:

www.TexasGunTrust.com: This video has the slow motion explosion of a Huntertown Arms Kestrel 556 Silencer. The video shows the tube and baffles leaving the 7.5" M-16 and parts flying down range.

It also has close up of the damage to the rail and the tube.

[VIDEO]

Yep . . . The Kestrel 556 split at a flute.

1st Video. The can bursting aka "breaking up is hard to do"

http://youtu.be/hSTzRHTxYRw
2nd Video: duck Tape?
http://youtu.be/gpzvIu1Nnnc
3rd video: putting to pieces together: "reunited and it feels so good"

So, no one set out to do this.

The guy has run the can on his 7.5" upper for a long time without issue.

His fingers were stinging but no blood. He was lucky

Lessons:
1. Putting a centerfire rifle can under a rail were you can place your hand over is maybe a bad idea.
2. Just because it holds together for many cycles doesn't mean that it's not going to blow up on the last cycle.
3. The Huntertown arms concept works. The tube blew but the serial numbered base was unharmed.

Last edited:

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wow! Lucky guy to still have his fingers.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So was there a bagel strike or the can just let go?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I hate it when that happens, but I plan on putting one of my suppressors under the rail, but my grip won't be near to being around the can...

its like unloading a pistol, how many people put their hand over the ejection port, turn the gun sideways somewhat and rack the slide to get the round out? I was RO'ing a shooting at an IPSC match, I said 'unload and show clear', when he did he turned the gun sideways a little, racked the slide, the round jumped up and hit the ejected, and he lost most of the meat of his fingers that were over the ejection port.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I hate it when that happens, but I plan on putting one of my suppressors under the rail, but my grip won't be near to being around the can...

its like unloading a pistol, how many people put their hand over the ejection port, turn the gun sideways somewhat and rack the slide to get the round out? I was RO'ing a shooting at an IPSC match, I said 'unload and show clear', when he did he turned the gun sideways a little, racked the slide, the round jumped up and hit the ejected, and he lost most of the meat of his fingers that were over the ejection port.
And I will bet it was a 38 super. They were known for that! My can is under the rail, but it's a 12.5" barrel and I don't shoot full auto.

HarperJt

Might have been cause by the preassure. I have M16 with a 11.5 barrel and M4-2000 can. I have put 1000s of rounds throught it with no problem. I know most manufactor will not warrent their cans on barrels less than 11".

He was lucky that the bottom of the can didn't blow.

SC-Texas

Texas Gun Trust
www.TexasGunTrust.com: This video has the slow motion explosion of a Huntertown Arms Kestrel 556 Silencer. The video shows the tube and baffles leaving the 7.5" M-16 and parts flying down range.

It also has close up of the damage to the rail and the tube.