Hogs as coyote bait

LSB Active Member
Anyone use them intentionally? A hog has at most 24 hours on our turf b/f it's completely gone. Buzzards get after it in the morning and many times by dark it's been dragged off to who knows where I'm guessing by a few yotes? Maybe one I dunno.

Can you stake them to the ground successfully? Maybe a butchers hook suspended off a limb? We have a couple with chains already just haven't slapped a hog on one yet. Not sure if that is the ticket, but it was all I could come up with.

chthump

LSB Member
I shot 5 yotes hunting downwind from a boarthat was killed a few days earlier, yotes were shot in under 2 hours time, dropped 3, 2 ran off, found 1 the next day, my best yote hunt todate. Boar was not staked, but the yotes/buzzards must not have been starving, theres still lots of meat for all.
Most pigs are gone in 24hrs or less, around here

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I do all of the time. Coyotes love dead hogs.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Spent the night in a freshly planted peanut field a week ago and watched 10 coyotes take turns on two pigs I had shot two days earlier. Went on all night. Shot a boar at 6:45 and by 7:00 there were four buzzards sitting on it. They were there before I could put up my junk and dig my phone out.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And vice versa. Have had hogs come to rotting coyote carcass multiple times.

Dry Creek

LSB Member
Anyone use them intentionally? A hog has at most 24 hours on our turf b/f it's completely gone. Buzzards get after it in the morning and many times by dark it's been dragged off to who knows where I'm guessing by a few yotes? Maybe one I dunno.

Can you stake them to the ground successfully? Maybe a butchers hook suspended off a limb? We have a couple with chains already just haven't slapped a hog on one yet. Not sure if that is the ticket, but it was all I could come up with.
You have stumbled across one of my best kept secrets that I have been using since I got into the thermal game back in early 2013 with a 2X ATN Thor 30mm 320 resolution. Don't hate on me for the ATN as there was nothing else on the market except a Raytheon back then. I have what I call either " the bone yard" or "coyote flypaper". I started piling dead hogs and even coyotes in about a 30 yd by 30 yd area about 150 yards of my elevated deer stand. The buzzards get to them first but all I want is the attractant smell from this set up. Just a little rain on the carcasses and even dry bones will attract a coyote. Everybody and their dogs have electronic calls and the coyotes all have masters degrees in avoiding them so forget calling in my area. I will say that fully 95 % of the coyotes that I see come downwind of the "coyote flypaper" must come and investigate to try to eat on a deteriorated hog leg or piss on something. In real cold weather the carcass will last for several days and sometimes the first thing that I see in my Armasight Zeus 5 320 75mm as it starts up is a coyote gnawing on a hog leg. I love that 5X on start up for this shooting situation and chose it specifically for " the bone yard".

LSB Active Member
This is really interesting to see the hogs no matter what size are straight up gone now the next morning most times. Sometimes a bit left for the buzzards, but dang. Amazing a 100 pounds and more can be dragged off like that. Going out to practice on some rabbits with bludgeon tips this evening was considering using them as bait, but not sure how I'd rig that for a thermal coyote baited hunt if they are dragging off whole hogs! Guess I'll just pile em up and have to be doubly ready for a snap shot b/f they hit the gas with a 1 pound floppy eared dinner.

LSB Active Member
Landowner purposely has me put carcass at edge of property about 375 yards. He practices on yotes to get ready for elk season.

Thanks man that's actually a great idea there are 4-5 regular elk guys on our lease who take trips out west I'll use that as 'hog permission' fodder. A couple of these guys complain enough to where we are not allowed to hunt hogs during all but the tail end of deer season b/c they think it scares the deer with guns going off at night. Meanwhile property all over NA(even down the road about 2 miles)kills huge bucks every year with active hog hunters on it 365. Sigh.

Mattg1500

LSB Member
Friend of mine uses a bait cage. Its a metal cage with 5 sides to keep vultures out. 5x5 and we throw our hogs that are to shot up to eat and our guts in it and shoot yotes at it. I have also shot hogs and had yotes come in right after the shot and try and take the hog. They got 1 on me but the 168gr barnes usually stops them

LSB Active Member
Friend of mine uses a bait cage. Its a metal cage with 5 sides to keep vultures out. 5x5 and we throw our hogs that are to shot up to eat and our guts in it and shoot yotes at it. I have also shot hogs and had yotes come in right after the shot and try and take the hog. They got 1 on me but the 168gr barnes usually stops them

i'm guessing there is a small hole yotes can get in it? we have a ton of hog traps that are 5 sided, but the door slams shut once they are in completing the 5th side. fence too small for a yote to crawl in. if you think of it and ever get a pic i'd like to see that please thanks.

Mattg1500

LSB Member
i'm guessing there is a small hole yotes can get in it? we have a ton of hog traps that are 5 sided, but the door slams shut once they are in completing the 5th side. fence too small for a yote to crawl in. if you think of it and ever get a pic i'd like to see that please thanks.
it does not have a door at all like a hogtrap. It is just to keep the dead stuff in and yotes can just fit their head in. It looks like a cube made of cattle fence. Its light enough to lift a corner n put the hog in. The main purpose is to keep the bait there and shoot the yotes when they come in because of the smell and not be able to drag anything away. You could probably use a hogtrap, just catch a hog in it, kill it, leave door shut and it works the same as this station. Good luck!