Hog saddle or reaper grip?

Ryan Schoenhard

looking to add a gun grip for my night hunting set up hunting coyotes and was wondering if anyone has had experience with either of these set ups thanks

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I use PIG saddles for guns I shoot off tripods occasionally, but use rail mounted interfaces for guns I usually shoot off tripods, they are faster to setup and have less issues on balance.

Here is 5.56(18) on Manfrotto M190 tripod with 322rc-2 head.

oxNCHI2h.jpg

thru lens pic from 500yds at heated steel silhouette (12x24 ipsc-d) can be hit consistently off tripod at 500yds with above setup.

BWvlAvol.jpg

Last edited:

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wig

Nice set up !!

I have both the hog and Reap set up that I use with Manfroto tripod. They both work well for my style hunting. which is 80% over feeders. Use sticks when walking. If I had to choose only one I would keep the hog saddle as it gives a lot of stability shen properly adjusted and locked in.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I also use sticks, but I wouldn't want to choose only one :D

YkX5Zy8l.jpg

I like both ... to me they solve different cases!

The stick allows more mobility and much faster setup ... but I see that for you 80% watching over feeders the tripods make sense. I'm more like 97% walking about.

==

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree, but messed a knee up walking about in foreign places so that did that in. I still can but not so much on uneven yerrain.

I have the same stick

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
my HOG Saddle/Manfrotto Tripod combo has also served me well in the past year.
Tagged Hog #56 last night at 200 yards.
Tripods are fun/challenging to reach out at extended ranges. But what you can shoot at 400 yards makes those 100 yard hog shots a lot easier.

Ryan Schoenhard

The main reason for looking into the reaper grip or hog saddle is so I’ll have something to hold the gun so I don’t have to hold it the whole time I have bog pod tripod now just looking for that upgrade to securely hold the AR in place while scanning @wigwamitus

Rookie

LSB Member
I use PIG saddles for guns I shoot off tripods occasionally, but use rail mounted interfaces for guns I usually shoot off tripods, they are faster to setup and have less issues on balance.

Here is 5.56(18) on Manfrotto M190 tripod with 322rc-2 head.

oxNCHI2h.jpg

thru lens pic from 500yds at heated steel silhouette (12x24 ipsc-d) can be hit consistently off tripod at 500yds with above setup.

BWvlAvol.jpg
Curious why you're using a scope/IR combo. Not knocking your decision, just wondering.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Recently (since I sold Apollo in late 2015) I use thermal clipons mostly for long distance shooting ... and so far only for shooting steel.

For hunting I use dedicated scope.

==
And I mostly use tripods for long distance shooting as well ... for hunting I use sticks or standing unsupported.

==
If I'm going out for 1-2 hour coop patrol, I often just take the carbine with the mk3 35mm.

If I'm going out all night or half night I take separate thermal monoculars for scanning.

==
In that particular pic with the SNIPE in front of the xtr2 1.5-8x cq mil scope on the 5.56(18), I was testing the SNIPE to see if I could shoot heated steel off the tripod out to 500yds. That was the first setup I'd ever tried that with and it did work. And I needed a pic of a rifle on a tripod for this thread and that was the first one I found :)

I have not yet hunted with the tripod but I'm planning on trying it this winter.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
<<messed a knee up walking about in foreign places>>

Yes, that sort of event can present constraints later on. :(

fanninland

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In my research reviews on both models seem equally positive. I went with the Reaper over the hog saddle since it has tilt/pan whereas the hog or pig saddle requires a ball head (unless you want to direct mount). I emailed Kopflager with a question regarding lefty setup on Monday and Garrett called me a couple hours later with answer and discount code. Ordered Tuesday and arrived Wednesday (yesterday) already setup for lefty use. Waiting on tripod to arrive so I haven’t used it yet but looks very well built.

FWIW I mostly walk and so use trigger sticks tripod with great results. However I just got a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5CM so wanted a rest I can do some longer range shooting from.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd love to be able to put a hog saddle or something similar on my trigger sticks.

Rookie, while waiting on tripod to arrive I did that last night at the shop (not hunting) and don’t think it’s a viable option. The reaper grip weighs 2.5lbs and with weapon mounted it put a lot of pressure on the trigger sticks legs to splay outward. Didn’t seem stable unless I held onto sticks st all times.

Msnix123

LSB Member
I'd love to be able to put a hog saddle or something similar on my trigger sticks.
Not to hijack thread, but I'm about to buy some trigger sticks. If I hunt mainly on foot, running and gunning. Should I go with the single trigger stick or Tripod? I'm leaning tripod. I figured when I was walking i could keep the 3 legs attached together by the strap and use like a stick, and then deploy the legs when necessary. Seeing if any of you had any advice. Thanks

Rookie

LSB Member
I use the tripod. I want my set up to be as stable as possible. Like you said, when I'm walking and want to set up quick, I have a single leg. Another suggestion if you get the trigger stick, get the Gen 3. The one down side to mine is that I have to adjust the legs out and kind of guess if they're out far enough to be stable. The Gen 3 has stops built in.

All of my hunting is on foot, walking to a location to call coyotes. A heavy tripod wouldn't be the best for me. If I was setting up over a feeder, I'd look into a different set up.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Should I go with the single trigger stick or Tripod?

haha ... I would say both ...

Just like the trade off between the camera tripods and the sticks is mobility and setup speed on one hand versus more stability on the other ...

the trade-off between the 1-leg and the 3-leg is the same. The 1-leg is faster and handier The 3-leg is more stable.

I started with the 3-leg and still have one in working condition but use the 1-leg mostly these days.
==
If I am going to be walking a lot during the evening, I take the 1-leg ... if mostly driving and then walking a little to setup ... the 3-leg.

Msnix123

LSB Member
haha ... I would say both ...

Just like the trade off between the camera tripods and the sticks is mobility and setup speed on one hand versus more stability on the other ...

the trade-off between the 1-leg and the 3-leg is the same. The 1-leg is faster and handier The 3-leg is more stable.

I started with the 3-leg and still have one in working condition but use the 1-leg mostly these days.
==
If I am going to be walking a lot during the evening, I take the 1-leg ... if mostly driving and then walking a little to setup ... the 3-leg.
Thanks