hog flinch

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I pulled in to the corn field property where we have been getting some action and saw one hog all by it's lonesome.

The hog was about 400-500 yards away when I first spotted it. The wind was not a problem and the area got just enough rain today to make the grass and dirt clods less noisy to walk on.

I am embarrassed to show this video, but there is a very large and well defined flinch by yours truly when I first attempted to shoot. You see, in my haste to begin the stalk I forgot to load my rifle. So I walked all the way across that field with an empty chamber.

Amateur hour, I know!! I'm a bone head. But at least the story and the video has a happy ending!! ;);)

hog%20flinch_zpsn2309rqn.jpg

Hog was 175 yards away when I shot him. It was not as big as it looked and I thought I was about 100 yards away at the time.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That was a good shot considering the misjudged distance, where would it have hit if you were 100 yds away? None of us want to see the reality of our possible "flinch"

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL...Don'tcha just hate it when yer busted like that? Nice recovery though... and, who doesn't like "happy endings"?

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That was a good shot considering the misjudged distance, where would it have hit if you were 100 yds away? None of us want to see the reality of our possible "flinch"
I am zeroed in 1/2" high at 50 yards and I think 175 is about the highest point of the trajectory of that load. 100 yards should have about 2" lower for that same point of aim. I try to aim dead middle of body mass straight up following the line of the front leg.

That's my 308 with a black hole weaponry barrel that is very accurate. 165 SST seems to be the perfect bullet for the typical victim I'm shooting with it.

It is rather gruesome and explosive on soft targets like coyotes. But I assume that same devastation is occurring on inside of larger game like this hog. Bullet did exit this hog.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If anyone is interested, here's a pic of a 165 SST I recovered from a deer this Summer. It expanded to .585" and weighed 112 grains after traveling at least 24" lengthwise through a large doe. It is my opinion that that bullet missed hitting any bones along its journey.

image_zpsbujnhuie.jpg

image_zpskplwrolb.jpg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually that flinch was a dead hog...(look closer) the flinch came after the trigger drop when there was no reaction from the trigger drop. Been there...done that.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ya he did look like a VW out there a ways fo sure, still a very nice piggy though. Good on ya!!! BANG BANG!!

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job, happy ending for everyone but the hog.

Yes, if you don't think you have a flinch problem next time you're at the range have someone else load your gun for you. Shoot SA only and tell them to leave a round out randomly, after you've forgotten about it.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Nice follow thru. That flinch is normal, we all do that unless we are sitting at the range on the bench trying to get the best trigger squeeze as possible . As Dan said, the bullet would have been on mark as it was the second time.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nicely done