High Winds & Hogs, 18 Down, But Busted 4 Times

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Of all the weather conditions that affect hunting hogs, high winds seem to have the most negative impact on good hunting in my experience. The hogs just don't seem to be out and about as much. I have come to expect to come home empty handed when the winds are high, but once in a while, things turn out well despite the winds. We hunted a bunch of properties, but only saw hogs on three. Of the three, we got busted multiple times during the night on the same property, three of those times before even entering the field. The wind was not in our favor. The first time, I thought it was a fluke to have the hogs bolt with us over 250 yards away. We came back later and it happened again. So we tried different entry points on the last two attempts, but got the same result. We had no way to make entry from down wind.

One the first property where we got onto the hogs, we could drive in quite a ways behind a small hill and enter the pasture from down wind. With the high winds and lack of a moon, the hogs weren't going to hear us and weren't likely to see us. Heck, we couldn't hardly hear each other, LOL. On the second place where we got onto hogs, we could enter the property far enough west to circle around behind the hogs to come in down wind.

Another downside to the wind was getting buffeted while trying to shoot. On top of that, we were both shooting light 90 gr. Speer TNT bullets. My partner has been using them handloaded for a while and has been happy with how they perform. I was shooting Federal American Eagle factory loads which chrono'd @ 2800 fps from my rifle. At the distances we were shooting, they seemed to perform well. When shooting with a crosswind, well, that made things pretty challenging.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OMG I almost climbed over the back of my couch for protection when those hogs started coming towards y'all! Nice job of hunting in some challenging conditions!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, I had a little too much magnification and so they looked closer than they were, LOL. The view from Dave's gun is a bit more realistic.

Dave dropped the one that went down in front of me as I shot the one that exploded next to it. Dave's hog got up as he turned to shoot at the hogs that passed by him on his left and I finished off the hog he shot in front of me. The exploded hog made it about 30 yards and dropped behind me.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great action. Nice to see that pill killin' well. The 90 TNT in 6.8 doesn't get much love. Wonder if that's justified?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't know. Maybe they were just good hits or maybe the pigs weren't too large. It will be interesting to see some necropsies on the the damage being done inside and how well the bullets perform with more marginal shots.

At 2800 fps from my rifle, the Grendel TNT energy ft lbs drops to below the mythical 1000 lbs by 180 yards. With Hornady SST 123 gr. @ 2450 fps from the same rifle, the distance would be 330 yards before the energy drops below 1000 ft lbs, IIRC. So the TNT is going to have some notable limitations, but it looks like it would work well enough inside typical night hunting distances.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Quality video, looks like you had a blast!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Whoo! That slo-mo shot was great! The hog virtually exploded.
Nice shootin', guys.