Hello from Western Maryland

Mcfire1664

Nice to meet everyone live in the mountains of Western Maryland. Do all kinds of hunting but my passion has become predators. Retired firemen near DC. Commuted 2 hours to work to stay out of that mess. Also have 210 acres in wv. So I’m updati some old equipment. I have a handheld Flir PS32. Love it. Want a gun mounted thermal now instead of my Pulsar 750.

When you want good advice you ask those with the most experience. I have roughly 3500 to spend on a thermal and originally was looking at ATN. Probably ATN THOR-HD 384 4.5-18x50. Big purchase on a retirement income and want to try to get it as right as possible. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome from a fellow smoke eater, local 624. I think most on the forum will agree with me when I say stay away from ATN. Customer service is apparently pretty bad and some of their units seem to have gremlins in them. I am personally a Pulsar fan but you can't go wrong with Armasight and IR Defense. Give ********(aka Big Red Dog) at ******************* a call and he can give you the low down on some quality scopes in your price range. Again, welcome!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome, I would say a Pulsar since Armasight has not brought their better new units out but they do have some nice current models at a discount. Just stay away from ATN

Mcfire1664

Thanks Jake. local 1664 here. I’ve been getting that vibe about ATN. I like the Pulsar NV750 I have. It’s so huge! Lol. I think that’s the model number. It’s served it’s purpose. I’m surprised my wife is allowing me to get one as it is. Need to get out of the house and start enjoying life a little. She knows it. Picked up some retirement weight. Need to get it off and start being more active. I just remember lugging the Pulsar around sucked. Not to mention with the magnifier on it to give me better range added to the heft. Thanks again for suggestions. This tech isn’t cheap. I fly racing drones. That isn’t cheap either. Lol. Big boys with their toys.

Mcfire1664

I’ve been talking to the dealer I got my last nv equipment from. Looking at the Pulsar thermals. I think staying away from atn is a good idea.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I’ve been talking to the dealer I got my last nv equipment from. Looking at the Pulsar thermals. I think staying away from atn is a good idea.
Take my word for it, you will not regret buying Pulsar. IMO best bang for your buck out there. Quality image, very few issues, and outstanding customer service!

Mcfire1664

Just watched the xp38 vs xp50 video on here. I couldn’t tell much difference by the video. Assuming actual view is better on the xp50. I don’t think I’d be able to get the xp38 at a price I could afford.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just watched the xp38 vs xp50 video on here. I couldn’t tell much difference by the video. Assuming actual view is better on the xp50. I don’t think I’d be able to get the xp38 at a price I could afford.
The trail XPs are top of the line 640 units and not necessary if they are beyond your budget. I currently use 2 Apex scopes, both with the 384 sensor and am completely satisfied. One regular hunting buddy uses an ATN thor 640 and agrees both of my scopes have a better image. His also shuts off randomly and will only send video out signal if you are on full zoom :confused:

Mcfire1664

I appreciate the information. I’m pretty sure I’m going Pulsar and definitely not going ATN. What is the feelings on the Armasight Zeus model in the 3400 price range.