Hello from Gonzales.

Wray

LSB Member
I've had a 3 1/2 pound ATN gen 3, and a handheld D300 for scanning since 2010 and have been wanting to update for awhile. I've been reading all over and some of the best reviews and thoughts came from here so I thought I'd pull up a chair.

I did break down and order the xq50 on Monday. We have tree lines and some brush, but usually hunt the coastal pastures and open river bottoms.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You'll love hunting with thermals. Been a game changer for the way I hunt. Don't get frustrated. You'll see all kinds of critters, kinda overwhelm you at first. Seems like every rabbit, raccoon, armadillo, deer and cow looks like a pig at first. After awhile you'll get the hang of identifying all the different critters pretty fast.

Wray

LSB Member
You'll love hunting with thermals. Been a game changer for the way I hunt. Don't get frustrated. You'll see all kinds of critters, kinda overwhelm you at first. Seems like every rabbit, raccoon, armadillo, deer and cow looks like a pig at first. After awhile you'll get the hang of identifying all the different critters pretty fast.
You mean like night vision stopped all those bushes from being record boon and Crockett's 30 minutes before dawn did?

Wray

LSB Member
I Appreciate the welcome. I have hunted with thermal before. I was Spoiled by a friend's mk3 60 and the BIL has a Zeus 3x 30hz that I've borrowed a few times. Needless to say I didn't want to spend for either of those.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great advice there^
I can't speak for the new "gen 2" version of the pulsar mounts, but if u got the original mount it came with, I'd suggest getting the pulsar D-loc mount from ultimate night vision for your new XQ50. The original mount doesn't hold zero well and doesn't return to zero well in my experience. With the Dloc mount u can use all 3 zero profiles on the scope to zero it on 3 different guns and as long as u put the scope back on the same rail slots that u zeroed on for that gun, it will return to zero no problem all day. This will also allow u to remove the scope from the gun for scanning while driving or walking and use the wifi feature to sync it to your cell phone or an iPad so u can drive and scan while watching the iPad screen mounted to your dash. And when u spot hogs creeping around that coastal pasture 500 yards away U can slap the scope back on the gun in about 5 seconds and start your stalk.....
I just reread your original post and realized you didn't specify whether or not u got the Trail or the Apex version.... disregard if u got the apex.
Either way, you won't be disappointed! Welcome and congrats on the upgrade.

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome...Gonzales looks like a great place for hog hunting, have seen them in the middle of the day on the way over there off hwy 97!

Wray

LSB Member
Thanks again, I did order the short mount from pulsar. It looks like it's on a slow boat from China. I didn't like the images of the scopes that were landed on the hand guard.

I ordered the trail version blakester.

Wray

LSB Member
Dan I hunt near palmetto on either side of the San Marcos river. Seen sounders of 80+. I got out when my bud decided trapping was more profitable than dropping them. They are pretty worthless now so it's on again.