Heebie jeebies

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Came out to my dad's place to hunt and it was DARK tonight... Humid too. Very little wind and less deer than normal.... Eerily quiet...Gave me the heebie jeebies..and on top of that seemed like luck wasn't on my side tonight.
Anyways,I hunted 2 spots at one location and 3 spots at another back and forth and back and forth from about 9:30-2:45.
Saw a pig under first feeder with thermal monocular from about 100 yds away (#175-200-ish). He had no clue I was there. While I stalked a little closer and got to a better shooting angle, the wind started blowing... Right to him.. I Checked thermal monocular one more time and he was looking right at me. By the time I switched to my gun he had already gone back in the trees... Oh well.. He'll be back.
Went back to my truck to drive to the next spot. Get in and start going up the driveway and that hog runs across dirt road about 15 yards in front of me and was gone before I could get my gun and get out of the truck... It's like he looped around and followed me back to the house.
Rest of the night was quiet dark creepy and mostly uneventful. Seemed like the only thing I saw after that were deer and only between me and the bait spots as I approached on foot blocking my path and snorting very loudly as they ran off.
There were a bazillion stars out tonight though, which was nice. Hopefully the hunt tmrw night goes a little better.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I get those to but it usually involves thoughts of Yetis & Aliens hunting me as I'm hunting hogs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am always wondering if a black bear is stalking me while I stalk the hogs...

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Only thing I really worry about is drunk poachers or poachers in general shooting from the roads or just shooting. I have thought about a mountain lion getting the drop on me when I smell like pig blood.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Mountain lions bother me here in New Mexico, only animal I really worry about, that and people. Why I always carry a gun while now hunting, and a big ass knife lol.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup Mt. Lions is creepy. Found their tracks inside my own on more than one trip back to the rig.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ive delt with Mt lions a bit. Hair always stands on end before I know he is there. Creepy as hell knowing the cat is watching you.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mountain lions are the main real thing that I get concerned about around here. Also, illegals stealing my truck or gear when I park it and start walking. Found some old rusted cans of food and cut off muddy wet clothes last time out here. Wild dogs form packs around here too and get very aggressive with people.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 11

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah we shoot the wild dog pack like coyotes on the lease...I am a softy and will see if they will come to me first, if they do I give them to a no kill shelter. No lions here but the Fl panther that are very rare, I would be scared of a rabid coon too.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Blakester now that is funny

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mountain lions are the main real thing that I get concerned about around here. Also, illegals stealing my truck or gear when I park it and start walking. Found some old rusted cans of food and cut off muddy wet clothes last time out here. Wild dogs form packs around here too and get very aggressive with people.
I thought we were talking about 'hunting property' like out in the woods.

You are talking about downtown Houston. Not much trouble with mountain lions, but the cougars are always on the prowl.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I thought we were talking about 'hunting property' like out in the woods.

You are talking about downtown Houston. Not much trouble with mountain lions, but the cougars are always on the prowl.
Downtown cougars can be called in with a " hey baby what are you doing tonight" way to,old and way too married to go hunting urban cougars.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't let them get their paws on you. trouble man, trouble.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
and yes, once you see them in daylight, THAT's when the heebie jeebies kick in

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Haha I'll make a cougar purr all night. It's my gf who's scared of those..