Grendel Speer TNT 90 gr. NECROPSY on 165 lb Sow

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My last vid has Dave and I shooting Speer TNT 90 gr ammo with pretty good results, but we didn't necropsy any hogs. So I went out Sunday night with the hopes of getting at least one hog, ideally a large boar. I ended up with a medium-sized sow (165 lbs). I made a shot that I would expect to be fatal with SST or other hunting ammo and it was definitely fatal with TNT. I apologize for the video. The computer has issues and I had to reboot a couple of times during the making of the video.

It took some research, but I learned of a condition that I had been seeing over numerous hunts with some hogs that I necropsy, tissue that feels like really delicate bubble wrap that pops with the slightest touch. That is actually called subcutaneous emphysema, which just means air bubbles in the tissue below the skin. It is unpleasant and generally not life threatening unless the bubbles close off an airway, such as in the throat. It occurs commonly with chest wounds or breaks in the pulmonary system allowing gas to escape into the body, such as with a stabbing or gunshot wound to the chest. However, I have also see this condition in the abdomen. It can occur by piercing wounds, blunt force trauma, or by extra large pressure changes (called 'barotrauma') such as may be experienced by divers. Given that the injury can occur outside of the chest cavity when animals are being shot and that it can happen very suddenly and over a wide area, I wonder if it doesn't happen as a result of the rapid expansion of the temporary wound cavity inside the animal??? Maybe somebody with real medical knowledge can enlighten me on this.

When I next try the TNT ammo, I will see if I can shoot farther back on the shoulder and step up the challenge to the round.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video Brian, thanks for sharing all the ballistic info.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Another good video, thanks!
Looks like the bullet did a lot of damage despite the lesser penetration. It'll be interesting to see what happens with a really big hog.

Keep After 'Em!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hmmm... bullet pierces the hide and begins rapid expansion, as the wound channel is "ballooning", is it due to a rapid sucking in of air through the entry... wound sealing back up as the wound channel begins to relax... pressure dispersement (air) to tissue, resulting in the emphysema? I've seen the condition on many animals I've shot, never gave it much thought.