Good, but Not so Good

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I got to hunt last Friday night for a few hours. I haven't seen many hogs for about two months, but they are back! Right off the bat I had a smaller lone boar chowing down on some soured corn. I made my move, which was easy because of the 30 mph winds at the time. I got to about 30 yards and let the lead fly. I decided to try out my 45 ACP AR15 SBR. I figured "What the heck" it was smaller lone boar and I knew I could get several follow up shots because of how light the recoil is. I was shooting 230 grain FMJ (I know...FMJ, don't use it, blah, blah, blah) Well, HP rounds don't feed with the mag adapter I have and I'm waiting on Macon Armory to send me a newly designed one that will. SO I shot the hog, first shot was a hit. He hunkered down and then took off a full tilt. I hit him four more times and he just kept on running. So the 45 ACP with 230 grain FMJ is a no go unless you hit an ear hole shot.

I hung out in the first field for maybe 30 minutes after shooting at the lone boar. Then I decided I would check a couple places on the way home. I didn't expect to see much of anything, but in one wheat field there were over 40 hogs split into 3 groups. I was trying to stalk to the furthest group because there were more adult sized hogs in it. I ended up getting cut off by 3 smaller boars and had to take them because they were getting ready to cut my wind. The first was a DRT, second was a gut shot, but he stopped, then I had a jam. I cleared the jam and could see the largest group just standing there, probably close to 300 yards away. I slung a round at them and nothing, they started to trot. I slung another 120 sst towards them and heard a thud and a squeal. Then they disappeared over a ridge. Yep, the 6.8 is still a killer.

I didn't bother with pictures because I was frustrated and had to get home. I am happy though. The hogs are back!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job.

Is this a thermal kill, or a I2 kill?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good to see that you are getting to go out again and seeing something.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad you got out, 45 w fmj a no go, 6.8 w fmj, still a nogo

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So where did you aim with the 45? Seems like that close a ear shot would have been easy.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok, thanks

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I2 kill

I aimed for the head/neck connection. It was really dark (no moon and.cloud cover) and I didn't put an IR light on the 45 so it was a little hard to have pin point accuracy for an ear shot. This was a last minute hunt too.

The 45 is an experiment in progress. Once I have the new mag adapter I plan to try 200 grain hornady xtp bullets at 1000 fps and.head shots. I also have some 255 grain Elmer Kieth style lead pills to try if they feed.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Surely we can get them to work night hogs has been using subsonic 44 mags for years. A .45 acp should work just as well.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I think the boar expired after his several hundred yard run. He slowed way down when he got close to the tree line. With a different bullet and a good head shot I think it will work.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yea I would think the 45 would work fine at sub velocities and a neck shot with the right bullet

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well they still refuse to refund my JRC .45 they have a new buffer that is supposed to fix all problems lol we will see.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I2 kill

I aimed for the head/neck connection. It was really dark (no moon and.cloud cover) and I didn't put an IR light on the 45 so it was a little hard to have pin point accuracy for an ear shot. This was a last minute hunt too.

The 45 is an experiment in progress. Once I have the new mag adapter I plan to try 200 grain hornady xtp bullets at 1000 fps and.head shots. I also have some 255 grain Elmer Kieth style lead pills to try if they feed.
Alex has you can come to visit yet? I,am still,waiting on the right piston for mine going on 3 weeks. I still think a 200 XTP will get the job done at close range.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
No cans yet. There is a problem with eforms right now. My dealer can see the form 4s as submitted and paid for, but the ATF can't see them. So, I'm still on the waiting list.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No cans yet. There is a problem with eforms right now. My dealer can see the form 4s as submitted and paid for, but the ATF can't see them. So, I'm still on the waiting list.
Sorry to hear that now what is funny is to have the can and not be able to get the right piston. No one has in stock and everyone is wait on the MFG. My HK USP takes a M16 1LH. My class 3 dealer has on order should have been here last week I am sure you know how that goes. For personal sanity I just think heck I waited 8 months what is a couple of weeks.

PS my 22 can is way fun so that is helping the pain some.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rob, all the threads the same on the 22 cans? I just got a PLR-22 and have a Sig 522 both 1/2x28

Last edited:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine is same size hum 1/2 by some thing same on my pistol and my 22lr upper. I think it is the same size as a 5.56 barrel. Even though a 5.56 would blow up the can. You are going to like it it is fun. I have not tried sub sonic rounds yet. People say they are the ticket very quiet. On my upper use took off the A2 and thread on the suppressor. Sig uses same thread patterned I just looked it up

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
too fun! I ended up w 7000-10K 22 rds stocked or hoarded up so what the heck!