Gas Block Problem

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok so i went to the range today with my 458 socom and it didn't even try to cycle. i got home and took it apart. i took the gas block off only to find the gas hole on it was drilled on the wrong end. anyone come across this before?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Izzat like those nails with the heads on the wrong end? You know the kind... the ones that get used on the other side of the house. Did someone have the rifle facing the wrong direction when the gas block was installed? (Or, is the hole really drilled on the wrong end?)

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the hole is really drilled on the wrong end. the gas tube only goes in 1 way, the other end is closed and the gas hole is under the side with the gas tube roll pin. when i took it off there was powder burns on the other end where the hole should have been

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
'Gis checkin'. LOL

That sucks. You able to drill out for the correct locale? Tap the (wrong) hole and lock-tite (or, JB Weld) a set-screw to plug the wrong one? (Don't know how "specialized" the .458 blocks are, or whether the maker will make it good)

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
its just a simple troy low pro gas block. figuring that its worthless any way i just drilled it out on the correct side. i didn't bother to plug the other end of the gas block because it shouldn't matter. i just need to see if it will fire correctly. it was just a slight angle that i had to drill at and the gas tube now lines up correctly. i have to get back out to the range and see if my repair worked. if not ill just have to order another one. i would have tried to return it but god only knows where i got it from. i have a bunch of parts laying around and i can't remember where this one came from. plus they are cheap so if i need to i will just buy another one

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you are talking side of the barrel, not the wrong end right? The the set screw sets in the old hole? Sorry am a bit confused here...LOL comes w age

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow but if you put the gas block together correctly and put it on the rifle the gas block hole doesn't line up with the gas hole on the barrel. Now looking at it, the set screw holes are backwards. My barrel isn't dimpled so I didn't pay attention

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have always had great success with Troy gas blocks. I have 6 or 7 of them. This is the first time I have had an issue with any gas block ever

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have always had great success with Troy gas blocks. I have 6 or 7 of them. This is the first time I have had an issue with any gas block ever

I think he was just commenting on your not-knowing who to send it back to remark.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh, oops lol. I already drilled it so to late to send it back. I'm going to the range tomorrow to see if the simple fix helped