Form 4 rejected

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My tale of woe....

Bought a yhm ULT in mid November. Shows up in the system on 1/25. Around first of July I call the ATF and examiner says the dealer, Past and Blast, put the wrong serial number on the form 4. I get the letter that day. Dealer says "no worries we're on it, usually we handle it before you even get the letter." Today I call the ATF and am told form 4 rejected, dealer did not make corrections, $200 refund being sent. Talk about a nut kick.

The owner of the shop is away til Tursday. We'll see if I ever hear from them. I would have hoped that they would have debt the corrected form 4 via certified mail? Any thoughts? Really Sucks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well that sucks and he still has your $$?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That bites.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yikes. That sucks. A buddy of mine did a form 1 and accidentally put his name instead of the trust name and after about a month or two it got rejected. He called and told them what he did and they fixed it and it got approved like the next day.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's frustrating. Especially with the timing of the new law changes.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That blows, I bet with what I have been seeing and experiencing you will have to refile your form 4 under the new rules this time too. I say that because I had a Form 1 with a error on the Model is said AR-15 and should have said N/A. My mistake and in the past the NFA branch would allow us to amend the form without going to the back of the line. I guess since they are so backed up with pending forms they no longer allow this and just reject the form and refund your stamp.

Luckily I had time to refile under the old rules, so the only thing I lost was time. However I bet in your case since the NFA Branch is already processing the rejection, you are only left with a refile. Personally I would raise some hell with the shop that filed the original, we have known 41F was coming for awhile now and now their incompetence is forcing you under the new rules. How the heck can a gun store fudge up the serial number, that is the ATF's domain during audit time.

Good Luck Buddy

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A guy at the store says it's not over yet as they did not get the letter from the ATF, and are appealing whatever to the examiner. I told them the day I got a copy of the letter back in July. I'm not holding out any hope but we'll see in the next few days.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A guy at the store says it's not over yet as they did not get the letter from the ATF, and are appealing whatever to the examiner. I told them the day I got a copy of the letter back in July. I'm not holding out any hope but we'll see in the next few days.
It will be tough for sure. My experience has been once they make a decision it is final. Most dealers just correct the mistake and refile to keep things simple and save time in the long run.

Best of Luck

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sometimes you can get them to fix the error and you don't have to start over. It really depends on what the error was. This wasn't a silencer from us I take it?

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
No it's a a shop in Whitesboro. Dealer says they never got the letter from the examiner. They tell me the ATF requested a written letter from them stating they never got the letter. We'll see.

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That doesn't look good. Typically they don't give any exceptions on that.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Dealer said they had sent a letter and that "we're working with the ATF." I called the ATF and they said, to paraphrase....."no, there is no working on it, there is no appeal process, once the form 4 is rejected it's game over." Either my dealer is ignorant or they were lying, and they've cost me another month. Pretty disappointing.

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can't tell you about the FFL but the person ATF is not telling the truth, or at least is ignorant of it. There is a time period of 30 days from the error that you can correct the form and it won't make you start over.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You have 30 days to respond to a problem raised by the examiner. The 30 days starts the day they send the letter. I got the letter. I told the FFL I got the letter. FFL said yeah ok no big deal we'll take care of it blah blah blah. About a month later I call ATF and they say your FFL never replied, you are screwed. That's when FFL starts this whole thing of we're working with the ATF it's not over yet. The fact is that it was over 30 days after they mailed the letter.

I know you know this silencer shop. I'm only posting this as a notice to these guys to pick your dealer carefully and stay on them if there is an issue. These folks were all like "we're on top of everything, you sit back and relax and leave it to us." Then, when things go tits up they throw up their hands and say "hey man the ATF sucks we can't do anything about it." It's all bluster, the we're real busy excuse, and the owner isn't here now but I'll call you back. They've offered me a discount if I re-do the form 4 with them but F that.

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh tracking. I didn't realize that the FFL didn't respond in the 30 days. You said it in the first post but that was a while back. My mistake.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Oh tracking. I didn't realize that the FFL didn't respond in the 30 days. You said it in the first post but that was a while back. My mistake.

No worries at all bro.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm sorry for your troubles but do appreciate learning these details for future reference.

Ugh!!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That sux bro, and your right selecting your sot carefully is critical especially with the extended wait times.

My f1 is totally my fault nobidy to blame but me. As for sot dealers I go to three and si shop is one, I will choose not to mention the others due to sponsorship. However si shops new process looks pretty sweet.