Flying with a rifle

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It my form comes back in time. I am going to bring my 6.8 SBR to hog hunt with Alex I have a POF hard case it fits well in and there is two places to put locks. What kind of lock do I need to use?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just used a chepo little lock when I went to satisfy the airline people. Figured anyone who really wanted in was getting in anyways.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just used a chepo little lock when I went to satisfy the airline people. Figured anyone who really wanted in was getting in anyways.
Did they ask you to open. I have read that TSA can ask you to open?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did they ask you to open. I have read that TSA can ask you to open?
Oh yes they looked at everything before they gave me a tag for it.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will need to take copies of my stamps and what ever the form that gives permission to move my SBR

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will need to take copies of my stamps and what ever the form that gives permission to move my SBR
You also have to notify the ATF your crossing state lines.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know now why I have an AR pistol not a SBR, you have to do all this for a can too?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
As far as I know rob has already submitted a notification to the atf to cross state lines. That's why he stated he is waiting for atf approval.

TSA can go through all of your stuff. Have your trust, stamps, and 5320 paperwork with you.

You do not need to notify the atf if you are transporting a suppressor over state lines. However, you must claim a suppressor as a firearm when flying with it and they have to be locked, etc like a firearm.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My experience with travelling with FAs is:

Hard sided/locking case
Locks (I prefer the non-TSA types)
Ensure NOT loaded, mag removed. I remove the bolt
Ammo MUST be in a factory box, or a reloading ammo box.
Declare at the ticket counter, directed to the appropriate TSA locale for inspection
Ensure all is locked and secured upon their grubby mitts being on your rig

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks everyone for the great info. Will ship ammo to Alex to make it a little easier. Just have to wait and see if I get moving paperwork back in time. Will put suppressor in the rifle case and take a copy all my stamps and trust. taking a PVS 14 in carry on should be no problem because I can say it is not a scope?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The pvs 14 is not a scope. Its a handheld monocular. If your can is in the case with the rifle, make sure you claim 2 firearms.

Looking forward to the hunt.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had all my magazines loaded the only thing they had a problem with was loose rounds.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had all my magazines loaded the only thing they had a problem with was loose rounds.

Inconsistencies from one airport to another aren't all that uncommon in other areas... why should they be consistent concerning FAs too? LOL

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Inconsistencies from one airport to another aren't all that uncommon in other areas... why should they be consistent concerning FAs too? LOL
Well that's true I have never had any troubles at DFW but they made me throw away the one loose bullet in the liberal north. The attitude was totally different also down here it's just normal everyday business, up north It feels like your some kind of criminal sometimes. I can imagine what it would be like if I ever went to californiastan.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Big variance too (between Seattle and Anchorage). The deeper into Alaska you go, the more common FA travel is.