Flir removes all former armasight personnel

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As the title states all the former Armasight heads were removed early this week. It will be interesting to see what happens now since they were the brains behind the design, and had more interest in the civilian consumers and customer service than flir ever had.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Hum. I am not surprised. Wonder why they waited this long? More evidence that FLIR is not sure what they are doing with the Armasight acquisition. I've been in mergers where the heads are rolled in 30-90 days. Those acquirers had a PLAN !!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No doubt folks were cut after the transition was secured. I am sure FLIR knows exactly what they are doing, even if we don't understand it or like it. If I were to guess, I would think that either FLIR saw Armasight as a potential significant competitive threat or FLIR wanted Armasight's innovations, patents, etc. The threat is now gone and FLIR owns all the assets.

marineimaging

LSB Member
I've been in several so called acquisitions to the point where when I heard the word "merger" I began looking for a new job. I was one of those brought in to try and help save a company but the power behind the money had already decided that they had made as much as they could off the product and it was time to move on. Merger? Loyalty? Promises to keep everyone? Those mean nothing.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
FLIR is anti hunter, prefers govt contracts and has always had poor customer service. Armasight was a way to get them into hunting thanks to Todd and his relationship with Armasight, it also gave FLIR a better line of products. I am betting they never put out another Armasight style product and go back to the FLIR roots to discard the sportsmen. I certainly will not buy from them or ATN so Pulsar is the only line I can afford.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank is pretty spot on. They are not hunter friendly for sure.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep merger normally means start looking for a new job in my personal experience. I’m sure the Armasight guys made their money on the sale of the company and figured any time employed past that was just a bonus.

Personally, I’ve had very good consumer service from FLIR and I do like the improvements made to the new Breach vs my older Q14. I haven’t used any of the new FLIR branded Zeus scopes yet so can’t say anything about those.

Overall no surprise here figured this would happen soon, sooner or very sooner. I just hope FLIR starts getting new models to market faster seems after they bought Armasight things just ground to a halt.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I know since flir took over armasight my interactions with their customer service has been sub par to say the least.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep merger normally means start looking for a new job in my personal experience. I’m sure the Armasight guys made their money on the sale of the company and figured any time employed past that was just a bonus.

Personally, I’ve had very good consumer service from FLIR and I do like the improvements made to the new Breach vs my older Q14. I haven’t used any of the new FLIR branded Zeus scopes yet so can’t say anything about those.

Overall no surprise here figured this would happen soon, sooner or very sooner. I just hope FLIR starts getting new models to market faster seems after they bought Armasight things just ground to a halt.

Flir dosent like hunting I would expect things to grind to a halt at this point.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wonder how long the noncompete will keep these former employees from starting an new thermal company?

I like competition.

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
Well jeez, this is great news seeing as how I bought a PTS 233 a while back. Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about future warranty/repair issues.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well jeez, this is great news seeing as how I bought a PTS 233 a while back. Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about future warranty/repair issues.
I’m beginning the communication process on sending mine back in for a repair today. I’ll let folks here know how it goes.

Mine has a speck of dust or something on the sensor that is visible in the display as well as an issue where the user defined settings do not stay in place between a power cycle.

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
Too bad you are having trouble with your's WF but I look forward to hearing how the CS goes. In your videos I have seen, it looks like it performs well. I bought mine after watching Todd's review when they were first released and it seemed to meet his expectations so that was good enough for me. I haven't been able to take it hunting yet, I am really looking forward to cooler weather and putting it to work.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Too bad you are having trouble with your's WF but I look forward to hearing how the CS goes. In your videos I have seen, it looks like it performs well. I bought mine after watching Todd's review when they were first released and it seemed to meet his expectations so that was good enough for me. I haven't been able to take it hunting yet, I am really looking forward to cooler weather and putting it to work.
Mine works fine for what it is and to be honest with you that blemish that’s visible in the display has never been a serious issue for me. I received my unit back in October.

My IRD has been back to Trijicon a total of three times now and I just got it back for when I hope to be the final time recently and decided this would be as good a time as any to ship the Flir off to have the sensor dusted off. I didn’t want to be down to only one scope and have two off for repairs at the same time.

I have previously sent them some communication outlining exactly what is going on regarding the unit not maintaining it’s user defined settings correctly between power cycle. I have found that using the default outdoor scene mode and black hot seems to be good enough for my purposes and I have not really had any complaints since then, but would like it addressed.

Unless they have their firmware update ready when my unit is received by them, I doubt that issue will be addressed.

But on balance I do like the product and I absolutely love my flir breach. It has far exceeded my expectations as far as being able to detect critters out in open fields a long way away. And being able to walk straight to hogs in a field watching them the whole time is a great thing too.

I hope they don’t abandon hunters at this point and will go ahead and release some 640 based boson products which I believe may help lower overall pricing in marketplace.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Maybe FLIR hasn't pushed thr 640 bosons as maybe the MRSPs would be up in the $6k plus range? I.E. Trijicon space ??

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Maybe FLIR hasn't pushed thr 640 bosons as maybe the MRSPs would be up in the $6k plus range? I.E. Trijicon space ??
Nope that's not the reason. I would not hold my breath for them either.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nope that's not the reason. I would not hold my breath for them either.
What do you mean?

That they’ll not become available at all or they won’t be any good?

The 640 boson camera core that is currently available is approx 18-2200 more that the same 320 camera core.

I’ll bet the PTSwhatever (640/75mm version) will noticeably cheaper than than the 9k Trijicon 60mm.

This is assuming the current price of the PTS 736 320/75 mm is increased approximately 2500.

I certainly don’t have any inside info, I’m just guessing based on what information is currently available to the public.

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What do you mean?

That they’ll not become available at all or they won’t be any good?

The 640 boson camera core that is currently available is approx 18-2200 more that the same 320 camera core.

I’ll bet the PTSwhatever (640/75mm version) will noticeably cheaper than than the 9k Trijicon 60mm.

This is assuming the current price of the PTS 736 320/75 mm is increased approximately 2500.

I certainly don’t have any inside info, I’m just guessing based on what information is currently available to the public.

I'm saying dont expect them to be available. And if it was available the trijicon customer service alone would be worth the extra cost.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm saying dont expect them to be available. And if it was available the trijicon customer service alone would be worth the extra cost.
Dang. I hate to hear this.

PS - I’m one business day into my request for service and have only received my “canned” response from the Flir super computer stating to expect someone to contact me with details soon.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Flir Cust Serv update:

Got another canned response at 3:15 AM stating I would receive an RMA so that I could return my scope for service.

This email was actually signed by an individual. I wonder if they have a 24 hour crew there?