First kill using ATN Shot Trak

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Dad & I were out on the river Saturday evening. He shot a rank, 290lb tusker with his 260Rem. I shot this young 180lb boar from approx. 75 yards. The video quality degraded when uploading to Photobucket, I need to start another YouTube Channel, perhaps the upload quality can be maintained there.

Thoughts on the ATN Shot Trak? It really is simple to use and the video quality is decent. It's small enough it's not obtrusive. It does record in HD w/ a frame rate of 30fps. Sounds quality is pretty decent too. There are some things cheap feeling about it but it only cost $100.

DISCLAIMER: I do not make a habit, nor recommend this shot angle. The pig turned just enough I was confident I could put the bullet behind his last rib and into the chest cavity. Over the years seeing how these Barnes TSX's perform I knew I could get a lot of penetration. This is the first TSX in 6 years I didn't get a complete pass through. Bullet stopped in the front of his chest and did massive internal damage. Tough animal, he still ran about 20 yards albeit downhill.

DSC00958_zps191f522d.jpg

DSC00980_zpse2ee71c3.jpg

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I still can't get over the fact that your hogs are moving during the day.

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I shot my hog at 7:15pm, dad shot his at 8pm. The high that day was 105, so I don't know the temp at the time but probably around 95+

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good going on the hogs, video was OK. My hogs come in the AM Noon and PM all in the light for the last 3 mos. but they are all young and stupid.

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
yes the video isn't breath taking. I also converted it from a .MOV to a .WMV, do y'all think this had anything to do w/ the quality degredation? It was much clearer in the original format.

Is 30fps generally considered on the poor end of video cameras?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think Photobucket instead of using Utube may have been the worst, 30 frames is good I think.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
30 fps is about typical for a lot of video. GoPros (which are meant for action) range between 60 and 120 fps). Actual cinematic film is about 24 fps. HD TV for sports and such is more, of course. So it isn't high end, but is more like the typical frame rate you find on a lot of video. More is better, of course, but that isn't bad.

75 yards? That isn't too bad of an image at all. The ATN is 5x, yes? That may be a generous estimate on their part, however, that still is pretty darned good for that distance with a weapon-mounted camera. If you paid $100, I would say you got a nifty keeper.

As for the shot angle, I don't see anything wrong with it. So long as you know your anatomy and what trajectory you need to hit the vitals, the entry point on the animal isn't really an issue.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Congrats. Worth looking into, I will probably use my contour for my elk hunt this year.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would like to see more videos, taken any? Was this video taken at 5x or 1x zoom? Thanks

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did not see this when you first posted.

Real nice and the 260 is tough to beat.

I think the video is fine

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Am I foolish to think the video from this will be similar to the ATN X sight?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok folks is this what you would buy or is there another better or could be used at night too?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Specs on it say the focus is 8' to infinity. That takes putting it behind a PVS-14 out.