First hog with new 270AR

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A friend and I went on our first hog hunt of the year today. I was shooting my new 270AR wildcat that I learned about from a recommendation from a member of this forum to look into the 68 forum. Anyway, y'all probably know about ************** barrels and may have heard of his new wildcat that's based on a larger 308 case size. Today I shot my first hog with my new rifle.

This was also my first AR upper that I assembled myself (aside from swapping a 9mm barrel out in an upper one time) I've always just bought complete uppers for simplicity but had no choice with the 270AR. I had to learn how to assemble one and I'm pretty darned proud of the way this new rifle shoots. I've got to be honest when I say this is my most accurate rifle I currently own.

I really have not shot the new rifle much other than to look for an accurate load using the Hornady 120 SST with both 8208 XBR and 1200R powders. I've probably got just under 100 rounds fired so far and when loaded to approximately 2800 ft./sec with both powders, I am getting three shot groups that are waaaaaaay under 1 inch at 100 yards. I guess it just took my getting a really nice barrel to see that I really can shoot better?

So far, I've shot a handful of vermin, and now my first hog of the the new season.

Here's a pic of my target shot with loads using 1200r powder:

image_zpse1c0ddb0.jpg

First target, bottom right red square was my most accurate test load. Not sure exactly how to measure, but it looks like 1/4" group three shot group to me.

Here's a pic of today's hog. This one was running when I shot it at about 50 yards away. Had to blood trail it, but was no problem finding it. 80-100 lbs.

DSCN1132edit_zpsb087e609.jpg

Big Thumbs up to **************!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh and a suppressor too. I would love to have one but don't handload, that have to be a great combo. 2800 w a 120SST is a real hummer. H is the best, I shoot his barrel in my 6.8. Congrats!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Congratulations on the hog and your new rifle. It's very satisfying to build something and have it come out so good. Now you are hooked!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'll admit that I was a little worried over the barrel length since I wanted to use my suppressor. Barrel is. 20" and I was worried about dragging it through the thick stuff like what's pictured here.

Picture does not do justice to how bad the buckthorn is where we found that hog. I couldn't even stand up over the animal where it lay.

Anyway, I didn't have any issues going in after the hog with the long rifle on my first hog outing with it and now wouldn't dream of loosing any velocity just to knock off a few inches.

I have an SBR blackout that's fairly compact, but this was no problem today. I'm using a Midwest industries super duper light weight rail on the 270. The rifle weighs 10.75 pounds as seen in photo and balances surprisingly well with suppressor on the end.

It's a keeper for sure!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah 20" and a suppressor make it a long pole and gains the velocity too. Did you find the bullet and what did the wounds look like?

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Not much to report regarding bullet performance. Did not find a bullet. Exit wound was low gut area that looked typical. Nothing extraordinary.

Blood trail was heavy.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what case do you put that bullet in and what mags do you use?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
still waiting for my barrel/bolt, I guess Whidden is shipping dies, so will have them before the barrel

good job on the hog

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I am using Hornady 6.5 creedmoor brass and have a box of 6.5x47 Lapua brass that I intend to try out.

I have had to already throw away a handful of once fired Hornady brass due to loose primer pockets. If this trend continues I will probably be 100% x47Lapua brass which requires neck turning to fit. I have not completely figured out if my 8208 load is too warm or if I experienced this from initially sizing my cases with too generous of shoulder bump. Also had to work out some over gas issues since I threaded my barrel and am using the silencer.

308 brass and all it's variants also can be used. Initially, I experimented with a variety of 308 to practice forming the case. 308 has reduced case capacity and is significantly more difficult to form . The x47Lapua case is the easiest to form. Some 308 brass may require neck turning also. I guess any case with a 308 head size can be used.

When forming the brass, if you go too fast, the brass will wrinkle and may be or may not be useable. This does not seem to happen with the x47Lapua brass which is another reason I may just switch to this brass.

All in all, using this wildcat is really not much different than reloading for traditional cartridges. You still have to resize (form) your new brass. Trim (more than normal initially) may or may not need neck turn, prime, powder, etc.

I am using pri 6.8 mags.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
There is a tool made to tighten the primer pockets so you don't have to throw away the brass

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on a fine rig and hog. Love all of my *** stuff.