First hog of 2015, Spotted Boar, 170 Yards

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ShotFrame.jpg

Hunted at TBR last night. Hogs had been coming and a check of the cameras revealed a particular loner spotted boar had been by the previous morning around 4:00 am. There is another spotted boar that comes with a companion, but no companion was seen during the hunt.

This guy popped out of the woods just to the left but did not seem interested in coming any closer. In fact, he seemed to want to go down into the creek bottom where he is looking in this frame. Turns out, there is the what is left of the butchered remains of a deer and the spot where the hog is looking is the landowner's bone yard. Here is the frame just as the shot was taken. I stayed on the hog and checking the area for well over a minute until I was satisfied, answered a text from the landowner, looked up, and the hog was gone.

I shot him right on the lip of the cliff to the ravine. I found blood at the top where I shot him and then down directly below was the carcass. Apparently, he spasmed down the cliff face. I will be back in the morning for photographs and will get the video uploaded when I get the photos done. He is one of the spotted boars and now it is a matter of determining which one.

Usually, I have to drag the hogs a considerable distance to get them into the bone yard and this guy just flopped down there for me - very convenient except I wanted to get him weighed and pics taken, LOL.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't know zoom power of your thermal. But looks like a big one at 170 yards.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another nice one Brian

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 2015 cookie draught ends ! Congrats, nice sized one.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ed, just got out now with info on the hog. The scope is a 3x optical on 4 times digital zoom = 12x (simulated). However, the pig was rather small. :(

This was my first attempt at some talking head sort of videography. Maybe that is best saved for Ed and others to do. Sorry, but you will have to turn up the volume to hear the summary at the end.

Last edited:

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice, love the foreground area. Big ole coon and those deer did not mind a bit. Good on ya!!! BANG BANG!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cameo by Angry Bird ! Nice shot Brian.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL..all you missed was eating a chocolate chip cookie over him! Good one, here we have another TV Star in the making...not as easy as they make it look on TV is it?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL Frank, I almost spent more time redoing my stuttering and misspoken words than I did hunting. Thank you.

I took a bunch of pics this morning and didn't use hardly any of them. However, this one I meant to be in the video. I zoomed in on the cliff edge to show where the hog did the curly shuffle on the edge before going over. The cliff face is about 12-14 feet up from the bottom of the ravine. I am sorry I missed him going over with the video. That would have been funny...as would my cussing as he disappeared. :oops:

20150119_094528reduced.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was hoping he would disappear on the video so we could hear you WTF just happened. Good video of the deer not being disturbed with the shot. You are good for the 6.5, I am not a reloader but impressed with your shooting of it.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job Brian, looks like you're a natural. Tune in for next weeks episode of "Shaffer's Hog Killin" brought to you by Angry Bird and other fine sponsors.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL Frank, I almost spent more time redoing my stuttering and misspoken words than I did hunting. Thank you.

I took a bunch of pics this morning and didn't use hardly any of them. However, this one I meant to be in the video. I zoomed in on the cliff edge to show where the hog did the curly shuffle on the edge before going over. The cliff face is about 12-14 feet up from the bottom of the ravine. I am sorry I missed him going over with the video. That would have been funny...as would my cussing as he disappeared. :oops:

20150119_094528reduced.jpg
Blood trail? Looks like the dumping spot for a gutting station. LOL I'd say the hit was solid (but, "give me one ping, one ping only please")

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am currently looking for a chocolate chip cookie sponsor, Frank. Apparently, they aren't into sponsoring hunters.

Ratdog, that is the type of blood trail I can follow. Had it been in October, then it would be Red October blood trail.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well Brain lets start a writing campaign and get you a cookie sponsor!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very nice shooting Brian. I'm not a Grendel shooter, but you use it well and drop hogs without issue. The talking stuff is hard. I have always disliked the sound of my voice on recordings and always feel like nothing comes out right. I've recorded a lot of presentations at work and I never like them. Yours turned out just fine.