First Blood

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Put together a lightweight 300 bo for brush bustin'. Managed to kill 2 pigs in the first 20 minutes. 2 Drt's at 50 yds, I like this little gun! Shot one in the rear a couple times too but it got across the road but it will die so that is good.IMG_20180303_174726601_HDR.jpg IMG_20180303_175544848.jpg IMG_20180303_174824780.jpg

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shooting Tex!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah,I love my BO's. What load/ammo/bullet did you choose for the gun ??
I shoot the factory Barnes 110gr black tips or the 130gr "pulls" from the Remington Hog Hammer. The slower 130's penetrate most any hog.
Good shootin'. --- pruhdlr

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah,I love my BO's. What load/ammo/bullet did you choose for the gun ??
I shoot the factory Barnes 110gr black tips or the 130gr "pulls" from the Remington Hog Hammer. The slower 130's penetrate most any hog.
Good shootin'. --- pruhdlr
Selection on the shelves around here is dismal at best. I ordered Hornady 110gr Full Boar on line, made a quick dash out to the range, shot 4 rounds and off to the ranch. The one I shot in the rear twice went further than I would expect from the 6.8 but that is hard to say for sure. I think this will be a good gun for me on these types of hunts.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Way to go!
I alternate between an AR-10 for open fields and a 300 BLK for shooting at a feeder or stalking at night in wooded areas. I know that a few folks give the 300 Blackout some grief for being underpowered, but it seems to be comparable to an AK-47 at least and that apparently kills hogs.

I'm loading 110 grain Hornady SP bullets. Tried the VMAX and they worked fine but the SPs are cheaper and seem to work as well. I used 130 grain SP and they also worked well, but they're not as common on the shelf and cost more to boot.

Keep After 'Em!

LSB Active Member
Way to go!
I alternate between an AR-10 for open fields and a 300 BLK for shooting at a feeder or stalking at night in wooded areas. I know that a few folks give the 300 Blackout some grief for being underpowered, but it seems to be comparable to an AK-47 at least and that apparently kills hogs.

I'm loading 110 grain Hornady SP bullets. Tried the VMAX and they worked fine but the SPs are cheaper and seem to work as well. I used 130 grain SP and they also worked well, but they're not as common on the shelf and cost more to boot.

Keep After 'Em!

The AR10 is a sweeeeet setup wasn't an easy choice to move away from that, but I like to shoot so much the economics of the AK round just made so much sense for my needs. Even having a separate plinking rifle/round didn't make sense when I could hunt and plink for the cost of what I'm using now....I mean how hard is it to convince guys like us we *need* another new rifle?! Where do you top out your comfort zone with a 300 distance wise for a consistent kill? I'm not sure I will ever have to shoot out that far where I live, but would like to know others experiences with similar calibers if it ever comes up. Thanks

Last edited:

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Where do you top out your comfort zone with a 300 distance wise for a consistent kill? I'm not sure I will ever have to shoot out that far where I live, but would like to know others experiences with similar calibers if it ever comes up. Thanks
Generally when I'm shooting the Blackout I like to move in to a position less than 100 yards from the hogs, with 60-70 yards being my preferred range. As for max, I don't push it. If I'm more than 125 yards away I'd probably keep moving closer.
One thing to consider, I'm not a great marksman. I need to get close! :rolleyes:

LSB Active Member
Generally when I'm shooting the Blackout I like to move in to a position less than 100 yards from the hogs, with 60-70 yards being my preferred range. As for max, I don't push it. If I'm more than 125 yards away I'd probably keep moving closer.
One thing to consider, I'm not a great marksman. I need to get close! :rolleyes:

I like getting close too! That's possibly the funnest aspect of thermal hunting for me is seeing how close I can get. Just curious on caliber performance. I got a chance to test the x39 on a nice sow last week at a rare longer distance shot and feel comfortable it will do the job up to 200 with reasonably well placed shots. Only time will tell if that was an aberration or reality, but it's so infrequent to get a shot like that for us. I'm no expert marksman either, but I keep working on my accuracy shooting a lot trying to get better it's such a highly perishable skill. One of my buddies was on the Marine Corps Rifle Team and was qualified expert in rifle and pistol he really helped me a ton with offhand shooting techniques it's amazing what a trained eye can spot and fix. Just little baby tweaks make such a huge dif...foot position, balance etc. Thanks for info and keep after 'em!

Last edited:

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hogs down ... nick name should be Day light Dan!