finally hit a few

D

djones

lots of pigs were scattered in the field, but the wind and flooded roads limited my approach. the only way to them was across a cotton field. mud patties caked each foot so bad i had to use my tripod to steady myself. guess they never expected anyone to approach from that direction, hehehe.

taking pics would have meant crossing standing water in the turnrow. besides, it would have taken forever to find and photograph the bodies. therefore, i’m invoking article XII, section 3b of the lsb code of conduct... further clarifying the ‘no pic, no pig’ rule, video confirmation supported by ‘thuds’ may be used in lieu of pics as proof of kill. panning with the zoom, i count 7 bodies before taking the 8th one.

moving on, i get to a hay field with about 50 hogs in it. before i know it, half a dozen are right in front of me. wind was strong in my face, so they didn’t smell or hear me, but they saw me approach in the truck. without a moment to spare i opened the door, stuck the rifle through the open window and rested the mag on the window frame. you can tell from my breathing and sight picture i never got comfortable with the stance. remarkably, i believe 7 hogs went down.

it is a pretty big field and by the time i got to the other side i saw more hogs. wind was shifting out of my 5:00 o’clock so i planned to walk out into the field before closing in on them. after i stopped the truck, i got a drink, grabbed the rifle, pvs14 and shooting sticks. one quick look before starting out and... out of nowhere, 5 were almost right on top of me! again, no time to lose. however, i was sure i would kill all of them and couldn’t help but take a second to drink in the targets. unfortunately, the leftmost hog winded me and everyone went into high gear. no problem dropping the first one, but i really didn’t want to spend any of the night on fence repair, so i held fire after the others slipped through. one of them spilled some guts, so i’ll add 2 to the body count.

next stop was a pivot where i had actually received some complaints about hogs. when i saw them they were headed right for me on the pivot road. i hid in the cover and let them come in. some of the brush was thick, but i was close enough it didn’t matter, and i shot through it. luckily i was able to get the easy ones, and the far targets make fun practice. that’s around 20 for the night, or there abouts even if i’m a few off.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DANG!!!! Those were all epic.
My ADHD brain couldn't stop watching the windmills.
You have got to do an end of year video of all the hogs you've shot.
Love'd seeing the dust balls blow up through the thermal shots.
EPIC!!!!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You got more hogs in one night than I've killed in the last 2 years!

Well done DJ, well done.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow!....I was going to have something smart-alec to say...but that was just fun. Great Job!!!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that makes for a fun weekend!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ya know? We should be charging you money to be having all that fun in one night. Great footage there, and an even better haul.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Man, what fields of fire! I'd love to have that kinda open fields to shoot pigs in. Great shooting.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man, you are gonna need a lot more ammo..well done

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Whoa what a night! Who is the deadly one now Djones?? Those windmills looked sick through the thermal.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You are a pig killing machine!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DANG IT!!!!! WOW you had hogs ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!! Nice going, looked like a heck of a lot of fun!!! BANG BANG!!

D

djones

yea it was a big night. i think i should get a couple of notches on my sus banner for shear volume

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lots of pigs and lots of downed hogs! Happy hunting!

D

djones

hunt tx - i guess it's all about location. besides this year, the last time i kept count was back in 2008. i recovered and photoed 363 hogs that year. probably have 2 to 3 hundred confirmed kills a year. no telling how many run off to die. maybe a billion. unfortunately, i'm old and slow now. too many all nighters have ruined my reflexes. soon i may have to retire from hog hunting and trade in my monster drinks and rifle for whisky and white lace.

scram - i'm down for that. you are hereby relieved from active duty as my full-time nemesis. lonepunman now fills that position

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This might be more fitting......

prophet_gold_barbeque_contest_custom_championship_title_belt.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DJ, This is still hurting my eyes says it was posted by you on a BBQ site...OH NO and I cannot UNSEE
wholepigBBQ.jpg