Finally got one.

SteveR

LSB Member
After having several "dead" hogs run off recently I finally got one to stick around.

I've been seeing a few hogs in the pasture near my house but never got a chance at one. Yesterday evening I mowed several acres of the pasture and used the frontend loader to scrape the weeds off in one location. Then I put down some corn and ranged the distance to several likely places to shoot from. Before going to bed I checked the pasture with my PVS-14 and saw what I think was a decent size boar. Well, I got set up and took the shot from 175 yds, and you guessed it, another dead hog ran off.

I went in and fixed a bedtime snack and then went out to take another look. I was surprised to see another single hog but by the time I got my gear it was gone. I decided to take a look around the pasture and a few minutes later saw a small group of about five or six. I got the wind in my favor and stalked to within about 60 yards. I was trying to get a clear shot at the largest one when it walked off behind some brush, so I got a bead on another one. I took the shot and this time it dropped in it's tracks and stayed there. It was a small boar about 100 lbs or so. Boar 6-25-2014.jpg This afternoon I re-corned the pasture and we'll see what happens.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
About time! LOL Gongrats. Your supposed to be guiding me, not killing my targets.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nicely done good sir

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good for you! yeah 175 at night is a far shot. What bullets are you shooting?

SteveR

LSB Member
Good for you! yeah 175 at night is a far shot. What bullets are you shooting?
I'm using 55gr Gamekings (#1365) and so far I'm really pleased with them. They seem to be a good compromise for both hogs and coyotes. 175 is a pretty good distance but I've taken coyotes and made brain shots on hogs as far as 230 yds at night with that rifle / load. I shot it this afternoon and it was hitting about 2 1/2" high at 100 so that may have had something to do with it, or, Heaven forbid, I may have just missed. (Please don't tell anyone).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Too funny, we need you to step up to the 6.8 for hogs and not so many will run off! Obviously you will be at the MeetNGreet so be sure to shoot mine, I will bring a rifle and pistol in 6.8 and several factory loads.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Oh believe me this man CAN shoot. He just tries to blame everything on something else when they don't fall right in their tracks. He has a 6.8, but like me he does not have it set up for night vision as of yet. He better be there or I will have to take someone hunting. Some times that can get interesting.

No comments BRD!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You must really be a pair out hunting together...lol

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Congrats, those gamekings would probably be fine on a neck shot on as hog, anything else and they are going to run off.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
comments withheld by request

they were really good ones too

SteveR

LSB Member
Got up this AM about 5 to answer nature's call and while I was up I checked the pasture. There was a pretty good size one out about 200 yards but I knew if I took the time and effort to go after him I would never get back to sleep so I figured I'd just get him another night. Actually Frank, one of the "dead" ones took a hit from my 6.8, and he was a itty bitty one too. I hit him a little far back with a 120 gr SST and after I shot he turned around to run off with the rest of the group and I could see a pink spot about the size of a nickle on the exit side. I'm sure he's dead for real, possibly with a litter mate or two that were standing behind him, but it's pretty thick in there and I didn't feel like spending a lot of time looking for him. Looking forward to meeting you at the M&G and checking out all the toys.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know TLM likes the 120SST but it is the only bullet I hit a hog with that I lost, still have some but they are backups. His are reloads so may be a bit hotter than factory.

SteveR

LSB Member
Lol hogs will run off from a 50 cal every once in a while.
I know what you mean TLM. I've hit them solid with a .308 and had them run off never to be seen again, and I've gut shot them with a .223 and they've dropped in their tracks. Go figure.