Finally able to get out Yote Hunting.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't get out to hunt that much. Usually once or twice a year if I'm lucky. A friend of mine asked last week if I wanted to go out to a property he has access to and do some predator hunting. The owner has been having problems with coyotes coming up to his house at night. Also Richard, (my friend) had cut a nice set of cougar tracks. Well me having a cougar tag jumped at the chance. Went out this AM, to the property, about 70 acres of pasture with some cedar and a nice creek at the bottom. We set up on the lower meadow using a cass creek caller. Well as I expected we did not call any yotes or anything else the first hour set.
We decided to check out what was going on at the creek. Wanted to check and see if the cougar had been back since the previous week. Well it was pretty evident why the critters were not responding. The property owner had taken their Mastiff for a walk that morning and he had tracked up the creek pretty good. SO I wrote off any possibility of a predator coming in today. Checking out the bank we found tons of deer, DOG, and turkey track. We then happened on this,
0930140931_zpsqhbfzoh5.jpg

Now Richard is not a big guy but that track is over 6" across. And me without a bear tag. We did make one more stand and actually called in 6 Jakes using coyote pup yelps. Pretty funny watching them check us out and responding to the rabbit in distress too.

We did not draw blood this time but that's not what it is all about. Richard is going in for back surgery and will not be able to get out for a few months. It was more for him than anything. But now I have a possible bear spot. Got to get that TAG.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that is a nice track !! I would be thinking BIGFOOT !! Keep that 458 SOCOM with you at all times

Where do you live.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice. Bears is cool.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Live just outside of Salem Oregon. This was about 30 miles from the house. Will be spending more time out there I think.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We were just happy you were dressed in more than your tidy whitey's! Thanks

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lots of interesting things moving on that property. Think I would be spending some time out there!

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lots of interesting things moving on that property. Think I would be spending some time out there!
Yea, Richard saw a nice 4 point (4x4) blacktail, big body, last year a kid shot an elk from the driveway 160 yards away. Might only be 70 acres but it borders a lot of range and forest land. Will have to ask the owner for permission myself. He is a friend also so I think he will be ok with it. I ran down to the store and picked up all the rest of the tags I may need. Will be spending a few days out there in the next month or so, permission pending of course.