Distance between baiting areas

jglass

LSB Member
My hunting spot has turned cold. I don't even get pictures of hogs on the trail camera. If I decide to bait a new area how far away should it be from the old area? Would 300 yards make a difference, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One thing about a honey hole is....once you shoot all the honey, you are only left with a hole.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
hogs are weird. we have 3 feeders by a creek. 2 areas the hogs hit religiously. the other keeps a pile of corn almost year round. (you should see the varmints in that area). All of these feeders are spread out about 100-150 yards apart. But this property is very thick.
look for trails man.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In my experience, I would put your bait piles as far apart as possible.

When I lived in South Carolina, I had access to around 2200 acres of hunting land, which was broken into over a dozen properties.

At one point, I had over 12 corn piles out. In either 2008 or 2009, I had photos of the same hog at six different bait piles in one night. The distance between all the piles was about three forths of a mile.

Until then, I’d wasted a lot of time putting out as much corn as I could. In retrospect, I’m sure I passed the hogs going back-and-forth between bait piles.

When I reduced the number of bait piles, my sightings increased.

jglass

LSB Member
I'm working on a second bait pile, about a 1/2 mile away from the first bait pile. I put out a second camera on the second bait pile
and seeing hog activity at 2 in the afternoon and 11:00 at night. Some hogs are also seen on the first camera while other hogs are first time to be photographed. I'm not comfortable at the new bait pile. It will take some getting used to. I'm thinking of starting
a 3rd bait pile. I'm working alone on this so I appreciate your comments.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
use their routes they take, mine are 400 yds apart so 1200 yds end to end(3). They are all trained to go from one to the other at this point. I need another 800yds away for some different hogs now

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My hunting spot has turned cold. I don't even get pictures of hogs on the trail camera. If I decide to bait a new area how far away should it be from the old area? Would 300 yards make a difference, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile

1) As Dan said, once the honey is gone, you are left with a hole, but you do have an established feeding location used by deer and such, right? Hogs follow trails like other animals. They will find it again.

2) I don't know that distance is critical. We have two feeders just 50 yards apart and hogs will come into one but not the other, sometimes. It is rather odds, but that is what they do. I would look for an area where you have hog sign for placement of the new feeder. As noted, along trails would be nice, or near water. Arbitrary distance is pretty meaningless, but the farther away it is, the more likely you will be sampling different hogs. Mind you, that hogs often move several miles in a night.

jglass

LSB Member
It is odd, people in the RV resort tell me about seeing hogs during the day inside the RV resort and short distances outside the resort.
My hunting lease is only a mile away so the hogs are in the area just not in my baiting areas. One problem is the cold weather. I'm not willing to stay out late at night or go out early in the morning in the cold. 2 weeks ago the hogs were in the bait pile when I showed up at the treestand. I had some great hog hunting but I also go spoiled. I also like hog hunting at night in my shirt sleaves:)

Last edited:

jglass

LSB Member
Hogs are back but feed at mid day according to camera, unusual for here

In the blind now but only see squirls. May try early morning hunt since it warmed up

Other bait piles have activity as well

Check this out, orange piglets and a large sow:

Checkout these bad boys, came into my bait pile and left after 2 minutes. never did see the sow. They must have been traveling last night because they didn't stay long.

Last edited: