Daylight Sow from Nighttime Hunt

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, it was supposed to be a nighttime hunt, anyway. I arrived early in hopes of scouting the property for a good place to set up for the evening. I was going to be watching 100 acres or so of field where I shot a boar last week. The winds were all wrong for the east side and so I headed over to setup in the tree line on the west side. I had just leaned my rifle and sticks against a tree and was looking for a good tree or trees to hide behind in the tree line when I heard movement in the woods near me. I figured it was probably one of the cattle, but could see nothing but vegetation. I turned on my handheld thermal and could see two hogs coming in behind some briar. They appeared to be heading right to the field. At that point, it was something of a race to get my rifle up and ready before they came into the field.

The shot through the shoulder dropped the sow in her tracks, the bullet clipping her spine as it went through her body, lodging on the far side. The bullet just ahead of the boar simply motivated it to run faster through the herd of cattle and over the hill.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love a good bang-flop! Was that your "I'll see YOU later" boar from before?

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good sow down ... always good vid. Take care!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice! Smart move waiting for the second one to come out for the shot. Might not have eve had the follow up opportunity otherwise.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job!