Danged if I can get a follow up hit

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Scanned the pasture last night and saw this nice sounder about 250 yds away. The wind was right and I was able to close to within 65 yards before this sow started drifting towards me. So many lost opportunities! It's tough when you don't have backup too. Practice practice practice.........

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting! With my limited shooting lanes one is about all I can get. Hate to see the others get away!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You're being pretty hard on yourself.

Last night, you were a better hunter than shooter. (Which, in my opinion, is much better than the other way around; it's a whole lot easier to improve upon your shooting).

You'll no doubt receive advice on what you could've done better by much better shooters than I.

You are wise to seek it out.

I'm just a lowly non-supressed low end thermal scope bolt hunter, but here's my take:

First off, this is a more technically challenging situation that it appears to the casual eye.

Tall grass, lots of cover, uneven terrain, multiple obstacles at varying distances making range finding difficult. Even had livestock present.

Second, you got a lot of things right that could have easily not happened.

*You actually put your boots on the ground instead of up to watch TV.

*You got on hogs - great selection of hunting site with lots of targets - you knew where to go.

*Actually got the event recorded (a technical challenge of planning, preparation and execution in itself).

*Good stalk to close range.

*Careful scanning initially for the whole scenario.

*Maintained breath control with no jerkiness of reticle (it's really easy to get jumpy with a hog that close and a large sounder for follow ups).

*Single target focus on closest hog (and the one most likely to bust you).

*Solid shot placement on first target.

*Exercised caution instead of ripping rounds indiscriminately.

Finally, your mamma would be proud - I didn't hear you cuss even once.

You took some hooves off the ground, got some great footage for us, and got home in one piece.

Congratulations on a good night out in the wild!

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lonepunman, thank you for the encouraging words. You have a good eye for describing the situation I found myself in.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The good news... look at all the opportunities which await. A solid kill is still a solid kill.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Always next time! Got one hog down at least!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Making hits on the runners is hard when they run in a straight line. Once they start zigzaging like a High School halfback, all bets are off! The shooters who do it well have had lots of practice, I think. I'm still working on it …

Keep After 'Em!

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Making hits on the runners is hard when they run in a straight line. Once they start zigzaging like a High School halfback, all bets are off! The shooters who do it well have had lots of practice, I think. I'm still working on it …

Keep After 'Em!
Still working on it too!