Curse of the w1000.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Finally after a long dry spell for me the hogs were moving everywhere last night. Well everywhere but my land I actually had to stop twice for hogs crossing the highway last night.

About 3am I finally spotted what appeared to be a lone hog rooting. This pasture had grass a little bit taller than knee high I could just see the top of the hogs back and its ears. The wind was perfect and it was very dark so my stalk was easy. I stopped at 60 yards turned on the w1000 and the mdvr for the shot, to my surprise there were 5 hogs not one!

I picked out the largest one and she went down DRT! Then the next two ran straight across making themselves easy targets they both went down DRT also. The fourth hog turned and ran straight at me, he rolled to a stop about 15 yards in front of me. I knew there was still one more out there and started scanning, sure enough she was about 120 yards away looking back from the tree line she went down DRT also.

I turned off the mdvr and smiled ear to ear knowing none had escaped and it was all recorded. Not wanting to wait and watch the carnage on the pc back home I pulled the dvr out to watch. Nothing but a black screen and the sound of suppressed shot hitting hogs. WHAT?!?!? So I go back to view another video, I had killed 8 coyotes and shot several videos of hogs at different ranges. All of them the same thing black screen ugggggggggggggghhhhhhh. Turns out the wire to the mdvr broke so all I got was sound.

That is the curse of the w1000 for me every time I wipe out an entire sounder the video fails :(

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
At least it's only a cord and not something more expensive to fix

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Finally got back on them, but w/o pics or video it did not happen! Sorry Charlie!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bitter sweet win there. All that effort on our behalf, and no spoils to share. Congrats on the win.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
At least it's only a cord and not something more expensive to fix
I got a makeshift one at the small radio shack here seems to work fine. But I lost some great footage.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got a makeshift one at the small radio shack here seems to work fine. But I lost some great footage.
Time to bring out the heat shrink and fortify a cable?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is why I am waiting for the new ATN w a built in recorder because of all the problems you guys have with wires, recorders and everything else happening at 1 time. I bet the video would have been great!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Time to bring out the heat shrink and fortify a cable?
It was actually the plug that broke not the cable it's self. Must have broke up with Alex last weekend because the last video I took up there had the same line in it. There is a fail safe on the mdvr that tells you when it's not receiving a video signal. But it was receiving a signal just a corrupted one.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is why I am waiting for the new ATN w a built in recorder because of all the problems you guys have with wires, recorders and everything else happening at 1 time. I bet the video would have been great!

Most of the wires are out of the way on this must have got caught on my helmet or something. The ATN sounds nice but if it ever stops recording it's not a simple fix like a new wire or mdvr.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It was actually the plug that broke not the cable it's self. Must have broke up with Alex last weekend because the last video I took up there had the same line in it. There is a fail safe on the mdvr that tells you when it's not receiving a video signal. But it was receiving a signal just a corrupted one.
That really makes it tough to catch.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man, that is a bummer as I know how that feels, but on a much smaller scale. At least three of my early videos had problems with the wiring harness and at least two more resulted in nothing being recorded. It drove me nuts.

Most of the wires are out of the way on this must have got caught on my helmet or something. The ATN sounds nice but if it ever stops recording it's not a simple fix like a new wire or mdvr.

That's true, but then again, you don't have the exposed external wire or DVR to get buggered up and to be cause for loosing great footage. Its all a big balancing act.

I don't know if it would have helped in this case or not, but the MDVR has an alert feature you can turn it that will notify you if you try to record and it isn't working properly. For example, if you have the "lock" in place and try to record or the cord isn't in, it will provide an alert to tell you that something isn't right. I don't know if the alert for the video is based on whether or not the plug is actually in or based on whether or not it gets signal. That might be something to check out.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know if it would have helped in this case or not, but the MDVR has an alert feature you can turn it that will notify you if you try to record and it isn't working properly. For example, if you have the "lock" in place and try to record or the cord isn't in, it will provide an alert to tell you that something isn't right. I don't know if the alert for the video is based on whether or not the plug is actually in or based on whether or not it gets signal. That might be something to check out.

Its based on signal so it did not alert since it was getting a video signal even though it was just a static line.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I need picture posting lessons