Corn feeder hog

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I went to friends hunting club over the weekend to hang out and do a little varmint/vermin shooting.

There is a pecan orchard near their camp house that we have permission to shoot nuisance animals from at night. We put a pretty good hurting on the skunks. We got seven one night.

We also have a corn feeder out for hogs and went out to check it Friday night. When we get to the trail leading to the feeder I discovered there was a hog waiting for us. The fellow who was with me had never killed a hog and had never used a thermal scope. Being the good guest I am, I volunteered to let him shoot with my scope. I got everything set up and was giving some tips on where to aim and shoot and......... I'll just let the video speak for itself.

Saturday night after another pecan orchard patrol we went to go check the feeder again just in case. And wouldn't you know it, there is another hog standing there waiting for us. Actually, I am convinced it was the same hog as Friday night. There hasn't been much activity on this property. There's not much fresh damaged/rooting anywhere, and the owners just aren't seeing nearly as many as they've seen in the past. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I'll continue to believe it was the same one. My friend named Mark insisted that I shoot this time.

I am in need of a new video cable darn it. On the DVR end, the heat shrink has come loose and anytime I move, it must be affecting the connection because I'm getting static in the videos.

greenville%20hog_zpszzjjfili.jpg

I also got a daytime Chupacabra Sunday morning. We were riding about in the golf cart and had just about completed "the loop" when we spotted the mythical creature eating the remains of some recent archery killed deer. I never realized how long it seems for the scoped to boot up after being powered on. But it seemed like an eternity, and there was no way I was going to try and go for the video controls since the wind was blowing straight to the monster who was still oblivious to our presence.

A still photo is all I've got of the Chup. The first one I got earlier this year was not as big as this trophy is and I think I'm going to have it head mounted. Ha!!?

greenville20chupacabra_zpswsbk8dj4.jpg

Pretty fun weekend.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I was only able to play the second video. Using my I Pad right now and sometimes it resist.

In the second video, Did you see the critter in moving right to left in the background at about 15 seconds? Might have another hog there.

As always, nice video and nice shooting!

JPK

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You did that rank stick-tail a real favor, putting him out of his misery. Nasty case of mange ! Good chootin'. Did your hit piss off yer buddy? LOL

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
There were actually deer all over those woods and that's probably what it was. Those large trees in the view are water oaks dropping acorns. As dry as everything is the acorns are probably the best natural food source right now and that particular location has a lot of them in that area.

My buddy was not nearly as P-O'd before he learned I had videoed the action. The next day I nonchalantly pulled out my laptop and said I was going to show some videos to everyone there.

He didn't figure it out right away, but about 15 seconds into it he did and when he did it was priceless. Prior to this, no one else knew he had missed anything last night...... I'll just leave it at that.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... ("tag... yer it")

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog and fawn killer!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like a good time. I can smell that coyote just looking at it.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice going and nice video, that coyoteeee looked bad. Way to go!!! BANG BANG!!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Nice. That's a nasty coyote. Surprising how many there are in Texas with mange. We don't see nearly as many in NM.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He did the right thing and wait. Sometimes it is hard to tell new hunter to hogs to take there time. He did and anchored one!
Nice video. Now he is hooked I would bet. Your thermal did a great Jon and video was excellent. Dang I need to hook my recorder to my scope.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A week later and there are more hogs at the same feeder in the first video in this topic. This weekend I was with my buddy who's dad is a member of this hunting club on the MS river near Greenville, MS.

The weather was a good bit warmer than last week. Cloudy all day and high humidity. The temp probably didn't drop at all over night and you can really see it in this thermal video. The back ground is very mono tone and washed out. Luckily the hot targets show up very well. The hog my buddy shoots was wet and muddy. The one to the right of him looks like he was caked with even more mud that shows up a distance of 80 yards.

image_zps21miorz7.jpeg

I fired up my new smoker at 1030 am and made an all day (and night) event out it. I cooked (store bought) pork ribs and butt. Hamburgers for lunch, chicken and beans on the smoker.

My dog serves on guard duty while the smoker is on auto-pilot.

IMG_8367_zpsckyvwpxa.jpg

Here's the butt resting before being pulled apart.

IMG_8527_zpsvwdk3e92.jpg

Last edited:

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Makes a feller HONGRAY seeing that lovely butt laid out like 'dat ! I'm certain the guard dog received proper compensation for faithful duty.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Really nice smoker and Pup

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fine eats!!! That looks great, makes one hungry. Nice video, those porks showed up great on the video. Way to go!! BANG BANG!!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
One fine looking smoker there. The dog is old enough to know exactly where to wait for the first bite.:)