Checklist...not checked...

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hunted TBR on Wednesday night and their game cameras showed a sounder coming around 6:30 am and I could not stay that late on Wednesday, so I came back on Thursday after tucking the kids in bed.

Notified Mr. TBR that I was on the way. He wrote back that he smelled hogs. That isn't unusual, but was a good sign. As I got close to town, he let me know he was working in the shop and to stop by. It is a 400 yard drive from the road up to the house and I was creeping along, hoping to see hogs. After all, Mr. TBR said he smelled them, right? The time was about 9:30 PM.

Well sure enough, I spy a hog at the feeder and I am about 150 yards shy of the house at this point. I grab my rifle from its case, shooting sticks, and muffs and make my way to the shop via LPC (leather personnel carrier) and tell Mr. TBR he has a boar under the feeder, thinking he might want to shoot as well. With a somewhat incredulous look, he says, "Well go shoot it!" as if the thought hadn't crossed my mind. He sees my shooting sticks and says, "Just use the hay bales for a rest." He has some spare hay bales he uses for archery targets that overlook the field with the feeder.

So I scoot down to the hay bales and try to get comfortable on them. Damn if hay isn't pokey and itchy. So I turn on the recorder, line up my shot, wait for the hog to change position, aim a tad high to compensate for drop, and BOOOOMMMM - Thwack! The hog goes down. I stay on it for about 30 seconds and it isn't getting up. I put the rifle back on safe, stand up and turn around to head back up to the shop and nearly run into Mr. TBR who was right behind me! "Man, that thing sure puts them down!" he says. Scared the livin' hell out of me. I was in the zone and had zero situational awareness. The conversation then turned to the RING sound of my flash hider and the fact that his wife was also watching the event with binos from inside the house. Glad I didn't know I had an audience.

No recording. In my haste, I didn't go through the usual routine of checking everything and I had the cable unplugged for transport. I have a set routine I go through and it didn't get done. I had not opened up the brass catcher either (but it still worked just fine).

I walked out to the hog while Mr. TBR grabbed his cart. Apparently I had broken his spine and did not appear conscious, but still moving a lot after about 5 minutes so I put another round into him to finish the job.

Stayed for the rest of the night to wait on the morning sounder. It never came. Getting the boar was okay, but the prize really was the sounder as it will probably be more of a problem for bow season that opens tomorrow than the loan boar, especially with the sounder coming around daybreak.
100_2053reduced.jpg

165 lb. Boar, not adult
6.5 Grendel
Armasight Zeus 3 640
205 yards

Morning view of shooting position to feeder. Note this is the feeder that I usually approach from the other side of the dam on my way off the property. The dam makes for a nice backstop when firing from the hay bales.

100_2058reduced.jpg

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice job again Brian. That sure is a good looking place you get to hunt.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, hay fields bordered by groves of trees and often ravines in the groves. The bad part is when the hogs get down into the ravines after being shot.

We have gotten just enough rain in that area (but still WAY down for the year) to keep things growing. Mr. TBR thinks he will get a 3rd cutting on the hay this year, which was unexpected.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is a badd looking boar, good job and shot. Your checklist forgot Angry Bird too which by now is even more angry! Pretty country!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great shooting and like Frank said very pretty country

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good work Brian. Nice shooting

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks guys! Gotta love it when the hog waits for you to arrive. I had to laugh about what was going on. I was trying to be all stealthy and quiet, not pulling in too close, etc., fearful of scaring off the hog. Yet there was Mr. TBR working with the big rolling doors of his shop open, bright lights on, music playing, him working on equipment and making all sorts of noise. Apparently, it was just a normal evening at TBR and the hog was used to the human activities going on around the shop/house area, or so it would seem.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The noise continuing, probably lulled Mr. Hog into believing he was free and clear. Bad assumption on his part.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Couple bait spots that I hunt hogs from are less than 75 yards from the landowners back door, and I love it when their air conditioners are on, or even the dishwasher helps when approaching one of them when i walk up the kilichi rock driveway along side their house as the feeder comes into view. It helps drown out the noise walking on the rocks

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
That's a nice hog. Good spot to shoot from too, lots of open space to get a few of them.

SteveR

LSB Member
Way to go Brian. I've been thinking about a 6.5 myself. When the time gets closer I may want to pick your brain some.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian, I hope you have some of those green tipped bullets

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go Brian. I've been thinking about a 6.5 myself. When the time gets closer I may want to pick your brain some.

for TLM - obscure Zombie reference