Cattle Chased Away Our Hogs!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got together with 3 buddies up in north Texas for 3 nights of hunting that turned out both interesting and productive. This was the very first time we got on to some hogs and it turned out like nobody expected.

We arrived at our first location and I was scanning while the guys were getting their guns out and prepped for the evening's hunt when I spied movement on the far end of the field, a field already extensively rooted. We identified the animals as hogs and made a round-about down wind stalk in order to get into position. The hogs had moved off property before we even started our stalk, but we figured that they would soon be back.

We completed our stalk and were set up along the fence under some trees. We could see our field and the field on the neighbor's property where the hogs were doing their thing in and among the cattle. It wasn't quite dark yet and nothing was really happening. We figured the hogs would probably come across and start rooting again just after dark. Then something happened and the cattle turned on the hogs, driving the hogs into the woods, just on the other side of the fence where we were, several of the hogs passing within just a few yards of us.

We waited for quite a while, but the hogs failed to return and were not sighted again on either property.

Last edited:

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
bummer!! i've never seen cows chase pigs like that, but we have had stalks blown when cows have seen us and thundered off taking the pigs with them. Dang cows are worse than the deer around here lol

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
First time I've seen cattle team up against the hogs!

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yearlings having a good time!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Haven't seen that before ... usually it's the other way around.

chthump

LSB Member
Heifers, always looking for something to mess with, almost has bad as young bulls, fixed fence this weekend, because of the latter

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting.. too bad they didn't run them to a safe shooting zone for yall

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ha had the same thing happen to me last year when hunting near Floresville. I was excited to hunt this 200 acre ranch because of heavy hog sign. About an hour after dark a sounder of around 50 members came out of the cover and started crossing a field towards a heavily rooted tank. All of a sudden a couple heifers split from the herd lounging in the field and loped after them. They ran the entire sounder back into the brush and I didn't see a hog the rest of the night!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man I have had the cows chase the hogs off way to many times, sometimes I hate cows. It's funny the hogs never seem to even notice me the cows they spot me 10 miles away.