Boar-Bobcat Duo

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Very long night last night. No reason to go to bed when you need to wake up your kids for school shortly after you get home, LOL.

I got a request from the owner of TBR that included language not appropriate for the likes of the gentle souls on this forum, but suffice it to say that he was quite upset with hogs having ruined his bowhunting over the weekend and that the hogs were stinking up the area quite a bit, which I discovered about the time I drove onto the property. There is a sounder that moves through the property, possibly two, and I saw neither one despite the long hours, but did manage to have a productive hunt.

Winds were from the feeder and toward me. Nobody had been to the feeder in at least 2 days. Both hogs found something bothersome about the area and were quite skittish.

The second part of the hunt involved taking a bobcat. It was the strangest thing. I was on the way back from photographing the downed boar, had my headlamp on, and was heading down into a large ravine when I spied two yellow eyes reflecting light from the other side of the ravine. I used my thermal spotting scope and determined it to be a bobcat. He was standing broadside to me and watching me. So I unslung my tripod triggersticks, got it set up, checked and the cat was still there. Got my rifle onto the tripod and the cat sat down! So I took my time adjusting the tripod a couple of times and the cat was not moving. The encounter lasted maybe a couple of minutes and now the cat isn't moving any more.

To see the second hog very well at the end of the video, you may need to go to full screen mode.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Brian, sorry I woke you up!!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hogs don't like the smell of cookies. LOL The only thing I can think of is a much larger boar is in the area.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian - Good shooting on the hog / bobcat pair.
Nice to see that the genes in the bobcat pool were strengthened with you removing the slow mover..

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Beautiful cat. Looks like hogs have had a run-in with a big hog lately perhaps.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah Dan, I don't know what the deal was. The owner had leveled the area around the feeder over the weekend and knocked over a couple of trees, but the sounder was on camera at the feeder both Monday and Tuesday (last time checked), so they are hitting it pretty good, but why the skittishness last night was odd. Why the bobcat wasn't bothered by me and my light was really odd as well. Strange night all the way around.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hog shot was great the Kitty was asking to get shot dang. Must have been in the cat nip.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The hogs must've heard a new sheriff is in town. Sheriff A.B., and his deputy... Mr. Ping.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Funny on the bobcat. Wonder if he was younger, just inquisitive. Well doesn't matter anymore lol, nice shots.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hunt ... keep thinning the herd.