Beta testing Because Operator PVS-31a camera, info inside

Hootiewho

*I have no association with Because Operator.

I got word of this little cam from a L3 LE dealer in the US. It is made in the great white north, land of the Beaver; Canada by because operator. I have not really read much about their product on other boards so I am doing an ongoing review of the PVS-31a beta model I bought from them to try out. As much as I would love a Wilcox setup for recording with my 31a, I cannot swing that coin. These units were under $400 if I remember correct. It is a very sleek, low profile unit. It weights absolutely nothing. The 31a is light weight as it is. This thing is tons better than a gopro attached in the weight and functionality department as far as still allowing the goggles to be flipped up and pivoted up.

It does not have an onboard battery. I have a sasquatch USB battery pack on the **** Mohawk for the cam. As it comes currently, you turn it on and off by way of plugging in and unplugging the attached USB cable. I have a inline USB on/off switch on order to simplify operation. It takes a micro sd card and they recommend a 32g. It records in 1:12 second loops. This threw me off at first because I had a ton of short videos when I downloaded the sd card. You can easily patch the videos end to end in something like quicktime and the video will be seamless. I asked about this function and was told it was to prevent a whole file from being corrupted, so at worst you may be out a minute or two of video vs 3 hours. I have no idea how long a 32gig card will record for.

When you order it asks for what unit you are running, PVS-14, 15, or 31 and if the unit is GP or WP. They must tune the camera to the lens output. It is a simple friction snap ring that is easy on/off but I do not see it getting knocked off easily.

I am have not had a chance to take it out on a night with anything more than a crescent moon. I have yet to see how it handles really good moonlight. So far my impression that for hunting video good enough to put on Youtube and be able to tell what you are shooting at in very low light conditions, you are looking at 100 to 200 yards. Obviously you can see much farther and I expect with more ambient light that range will increase. Hunting small fields and thick woods, it seems pretty awesome. Currently the only video I have processed is one short clip of me shooting at the Elbert County Gun Club in Elberton and of me riding a ATV near my home. I put those videos on youtube.

This was a no moon night, mostly cloudy with a storm rolling in. I was using a LA-5 and the target was at 200 yards. The flickering is fire flies. Don’t get the wrong impression of the 31a by these videos. Those goggles are just absolutely amazing and I’ll try to work up a review on those as well once I figure out how to get some really good pics through the tubes.

Here is one of 3 videos I took on my Polaris Madmax Coyote machine. I welded a 360 shooting chair on the back, and it is great for calling fields with tall grass.

And yes that is the techno song from the Super Troopers Porsche scene. The wife thought it would be a nice touch.

Hootiewho

Now do keep in mind there was no moon, I was under thick hardwood cover and it was so dark you could not see your hand in front of your face. I had no problem running 60 mph on the quad, completely comfortable.

I will update this thread with my experiences using this camera as I get more time with it. It is my understanding the mfg is taking all the feedback very seriously for updates on future models. Yeah it is ~ $400 and regardless of the toys I am not made of money, I just don’t have kids. I figured $400 is a small price to pay to try to get some good video when I have already dropped, well you know what 31a’s go for.

These are a few pics through the tube in Mt Pleasant/Charleston SC using an ipad to give you a comparison to the video I just posted. Mind you these pics still do not do these tubes justice.
Ft Moultrie, no moon, just some ambient light froma few blocks down.
1A008035-B9BE-4BB9-8A27-23333C2FD138-529090.jpg

22221BB6-C657-41F4-848B-B6DAC3385953-529089.jpg

USS Yorktown from about a mile away

4E6B81E3-EE8D-4BB4-8F6E-8B0C7656C2E2-529087.jpg

Underside of the Ravenel Bridge

8F5EF87E-94B7-4725-8BF8-C76B9AED717F-529085.jpg

You can google Because Operator, they have a good many videos on their facebook as well, but I will be updating this thread throughout the next month to show you guys how am finding the camera to perform.

Thanks

marineimaging

LSB Member
Now do keep in mind there was no moon, I was under thick hardwood cover and it was so dark you could not see your hand in front of your face. I had no problem running 60 mph on the quad, completely comfortable.

I will update this thread with my experiences using this camera as I get more time with it. It is my understanding the mfg is taking all the feedback very seriously for updates on future models. Yeah it is ~ $400 and regardless of the toys I am not made of money, I just don’t have kids. I figured $400 is a small price to pay to try to get some good video when I have already dropped, well you know what 31a’s go for.

These are a few pics through the tube in Mt Pleasant/Charleston SC using an ipad to give you a comparison to the video I just posted. Mind you these pics still do not do these tubes justice.
Ft Moultrie, no moon, just some ambient light froma few blocks down.
1A008035-B9BE-4BB9-8A27-23333C2FD138-529090.jpg

22221BB6-C657-41F4-848B-B6DAC3385953-529089.jpg

USS Yorktown from about a mile away

4E6B81E3-EE8D-4BB4-8F6E-8B0C7656C2E2-529087.jpg

Underside of the Ravenel Bridge

8F5EF87E-94B7-4725-8BF8-C76B9AED717F-529085.jpg

You can google Because Operator, they have a good many videos on their facebook as well, but I will be updating this thread throughout the next month to show you guys how am finding the camera to perform.

Thanks
Great job with posting the images. Thanks.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LPMR-14 I will have these for sell at Huey Outdoors end of September. Here are a few videos I have.

Tmm

LSB Member
Is there any reason you couldn’t put it on a trijicon? Same eyepieces as 14 .

Or was that what what you used to record with the rifle? Recording looked clean

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is there any reason you couldn’t put it on a trijicon? Same eyepieces as 14 .

Or was that what what you used to record with the rifle? Recording looked clean

There is a specific trijicon version coming out. The iso is set high for the pvs14 version so you have to turn the brightness all the way down on the trijicon scopes not to blow them out. The wire will be routed differently, and hopefully a few more adjustments that have been suggested.