AR10 .308 Hog Bullet

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Has your thinking changed on using the AR10 for night hogging? Do you use your bolt?
I've switched things around a little, but the bolt gun remains my daytime hog killer. I have acquired a 300 BLK onto which I've mounted a Photon NV scope. It's now the 'short range night weapon' for after sundown. I do plan to acquire a thermal weapon sight later this year, and I plan to mount it on the AR-10. The AR-10 is heavy, but I use a shooting stick and it puts things down with authority. I'm hoping to use it to better effect on running hogs at night. But, as I like to say — "The best laid plans …"

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've been shooting the Hornady American White Tail 150 interlocks. 18 bucks a box and shoots 1/2" out of my bolt gun. Just like any other bullet. If you don't hit bone they will run. I think I'll use that.

Bama

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've been shooting Hornady 165 grain SST out of Bushmaster AR-10 mounted with Pulsar Trail XP 50. I'm a reloader so I've worked up a load with IMR 4895 that give great group at 100 yds. Most of my shots are less than 200 yards. Really happy with results of first shot. I have to admit that the running shots off shooting sticks or out of shooting house the recoil and jump to reacquire target I need to work on.
I've got some Barnes 150's gr and Hornady vmax 155 and also Hornady 125 gr SST and Nosler 125 gr BT.
After reading this thread I am thinking of loading up some lighter rounds and see if I can get less "jump".
Just one more comment: The Bushmaster AR 10 with a 20 round clip of 165's and Pulsar Scope is 11 to 12 pounds to lug around when stalk hunting. I also shoot a 300 Blackout shooting mostly Barnes 110 gr TAC TX and get good results. It is lighter and less jump on running shots. On big hogs on running shots I know I have to put a couple in him to anchor him. At the end of the night stalk hunting with the 300 BO vs the AR 10 you are not nearly fatigued with the 300 BO!

ZapEm

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I shoot a 300 blk out of a helicopter, and have shot tons of pigs over the last two years. Started using 110 gr Barnes tac Tx, but they are pretty expensive. Worked great, but just cost a lot, around .65 cents for each bullet, but when you shoot a lot it adds up. I switched to Sierra 125 gr Tipped match kings. They work just as good at half the cost. I buy them 1000 at a time. SO, I thought I’d try them out of the .308 AR10 suppressed. They work just as great and put-em down. Two different guns, two different shooting angles, one bullet that works great.

witch's wail

anything but Leigh defense 152 grain controlled chaos. There is not enough penetration for a large pig, sow or boar. I like 168 gr or the 150's Tap Ammo, it's what our SRT team uses, excellent results. The 150 gr BT from Nosler does quit well also in my hands, Berger VLD's likewise. BTW, the Leigh round works great on white tail x 5 last season in SC , devastating temp. cavity but not one pass through even on 90 lb does. Regardless DRT on deer in my rifle and bullet placement with a .308.