Any experience with Hornady 110 grain V-Max bullets on hogs?

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a SBR 300 blkout that I use for my backup gun when I pig hunt. I currently use Barnes 12o gr blacktips. They work great, but always in search of cheaper alternatives. Saw that Hornady has 110 grain V-Max ammo for about half the price as the Barnes. Anyone know how the V-Max performs on hogs?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think they tend to blow apart quite a bit, the VMax are a varmint pill.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I’ve never tried them. Had a friend that did and he stopped using them. Wouldn’t anchor the hogs very well and he lost several. That was his report.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
At the velocity of a 300BLK SBR I would guess that they would be adaquate. A head/neck CNS shot should work fine.
If the deal is to shoot one controlled shot,then spray and pray as they scatter,I would suggest a bullet with more penetration and momentum.
The Barnes 120,110,or the 130gr "pulls" should work fine. The 125gr Nosler BalTip Hunter should be another. All these are fairly expensive though. Scan the interweb for "pulls". A buddy and I went together and bought some that came from the Remington Hog Hunter line of ammo. It is a solid copper 130gr bullet that is similar to the Barnes TSX but with a more gradual taper. ---- pruhdlr

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
I don't know about 30 caliber at BLK velocities but I have shot two hogs with my 6.8 SPC with 110 gr. V-Max. Both double lung shots @ about 110-120 yds. Both shots were pass throughs and the pigs both piled up within 25 yds.
Pigs 002.jpg Pigs 004.jpg

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've used the 110 VMAX in my 300 BLK on hogs. It worked well. However, I reload and I'm cheap so I've switched to the Hornady 110 grain SP bullets. They seem to be as effective. In no cases have I had a bullet exit a large (>150 Lbs) hog. I shot one that weighed about 260+ with an acute quartering away shot. The bullet entered behind the shoulder and apparently traveled forward to the lung/neck area. The hog dropped on the spot.
Basically, I view the 300 BLK as being roughly equivalent to the 7.62X39 (AK-47) round. For running hogs where I can't accurately place a shot I use my .308, but for closer shots at a feeder or pig pipe where I don't expect to be shooting at runners it works fine.
But to directly answer your question — the 110 grain VMAX bullets are fine for hogs at 300 BLK velocities. You might have trouble with a really large boar with a thick shield, but that's just speculation.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use the Full Boar ammo by Hornady, it is 110 gr Gmax and works well in the 300.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I wouldn’t use a varmint bullet out of a SBR on a hog. Unless I had that thing zipping upper 2500+fps I would avoid it on piggy pigs.

Bama

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I was using the Barnes 110 gr TAC TX and picked up a box of 110 gr V-MAX. Had pretty good results. I reload H110 powder so I've tried to get max velocity 2400 fps average using upper end of Hornady Reloading Book data. I've had nights that all were DRT and some ran off that should have DRT. As already mentioned if you can hit CNS they are perfect. I'm sure some of problem is operator error.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I reload H110 powder so I've tried to get max velocity 2400 fps average using upper end of Hornady Reloading Book data.
Same here. I don't have a chrono, so I can't say for certain what velocity I'm getting but according to the data it should be close to 2400fps. With a SBR you'll obviously lose a little velocity, probably a couple hundred fps, so perhaps the VMAX is a good choice.
Good luck, post pictures!

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the added feedback.

I am in TX the first week in July and will have some pics. I guess I need to go get a couple of boxes and see how they group and how fast they run in my gun.

Tuco's Child

I have shot a number of sub 200 lb hogs with off the shelf Hornady Vmax with my 300blk SBR at 100 yards or LESS, with good effect. The shot placement was good.

My favorite is Barnes TAC-TX loaded by DoubleTap . It is a copper bullet you can count on.

Incidentally, the off the shelf Hornady vmax is a good zero ammo for the more precious TAC-TX.