Another zombie hog!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Last Thursday I was just getting to a property when a big boar crossed the county road right in front of me! Unfortunately for him he crossed onto the property I was going to hunt!:D I circled back around parked and starred my stalk. This guy was right up on the owners house munching on the flower bed. I was trying to determine how to make this work with him being so close to the house, when he fixes the problem for me and took off to the next pasture.

I was doing my best to keep up but he was leaving me in the dust. He went under the fence to the next pasture which is huge and open! I thought to myself now your mine! But when I looked out there he was no where to be found.:(

I backtracked to his last good location and scanned with the thermal sure enough there he was! He was just on the other side of the fence in a thick wild grape vine. I was only about 15 yards from him still not sure how he did not bust me. The moon was not up yet and it was real dark outside all the vegetation inside it was pitch black even with the nv. I hit him with the luna illuminator and still could only see his eye reflecting. I guesstimated where his ear was and took the shot!

Pop thud SQUEEEEAL he turns around and charges me! And with a great crash he hits the fence at a full run shaking all the grapevines for several feet in each direction! The fence gave for a second and then bounced him back on his rear. Then he just laid there and all was quiet again.

Now I have to admit this one shook me up a bit hitting that fence like that I was only 5 yards away from him by that point. After I drug him out of the brush I examined the wound. Hit him in the right ear the bullet went through the skull and exited below the left eye! I followed the zombie rule #1 headshot but failed zombie rule #8 double tap :eek:

CIMG1097copy_zps6530d874.jpg

entrance

path

exit

measurement

Last edited:

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good shooting TLM! Always gotta remember when your "danger close", fling more lead!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
NOW ya went and done it... ya killed Super Pig !!! You usin' those Kryptonite bullets again T?

superpig.jpg

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know, there is a significant gap between much of the inner and outer tables of the skull such that it would certainly be possible for your bullet to pass through as you described without necessarily directly hitting the brain.

While this guy did go down immediately, I did manage to shoot him just forward of the base of the right ear (note where ear was folded over when bullet impacted and so you see a hole in the ear and just forward of the ear) and have the round exit the low left side of the neck without damaging the skull. I thought for certain this guy's head should have been exploded. I was using a .45-70 and the shot was only about 30 yards!IMG-20120221-00243 Large Boar Entry Wound and Pierced Earlobe.jpg x3IMG-20120221-00237 Large Boar Exit Wound arrow.jpg IMG-20120316-00257 Large Boar Skull.jpg

Good lesson, TLM. Even shots that are thought to be a sure thing, aren't.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For a critter said to be as smart as they are... the brain bucket is more like a pail.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If not for the fence, you could have been writing this from the Hospital! Be careful out there guys...I might have been squealing like a little girl dumping a mag and peeing my pants...maybe...lol

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Way to keep your cool under a charge. We had one boar try to get up and charge my friend saturday night. The boar had been hit in the gut and one of his front hooves was shot. He was laying there, nice and cool, until my friend got about 5 yards from him. Then the boar lifted his head and started trying to come at my friend. It was a charge by any means because he couldn't use his front hoof, but it shook my friend up. He put a 9mm in his head and the hog just kept trying to come at him. So he put 4 more in his head and the boar went belly up. I was just laughing! I wish I had gotten it on camera.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sound advise, after this weekend and my dealings with a zombie pig. If they look big headshot first then a follow up shot for good measure, that is the lesson I learned.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I still have not been charged, and I am not complaining. Lawman, I am glad that fence saved your bacon.

The key is not to panic and stand your ground and keep firing. If the pig is on the ground and appears dead I keep my finger on the trigger and the dot on his noggin in case he moves. If one even twitches they get another round through the skull. It is not a fun experience, but it sure is an adrenaline rush.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If not for the fence, you could have been writing this from the Hospital! Be careful out there guys...I might have been squealing like a little girl dumping a mag and peeing my pants...maybe...lol

Nah I used the laser to pop him I never took my finger off the trigger or the laser off him!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know if you can see the images or now without joining THR, but it is a good forum. Flintknapper is a GOB in east Texas that took the time to cross section some hog skulls to show what they look like on the inside and you can see just how much open space there is, and as noted above here again, just how small their brains really are. The images start toward the bottom of the page and continue on the following page.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=449721&page=29

In post 726 on page 30, you can actually see where a shot placed to the ear could skirt the top of the brain between the inner and outer tables of the skull, or between the brain and inner table, and exit the other side of the head under the eye. It would be a very unique shot, but not impossible. I suppose if you shoot enough hogs...

Last edited:

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Much smaller brain pan that I anticipated they have. Thanks for sharin' that.