after a new group of 30+ show up

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There you go! Got to be more to the story!

dehoganator

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
some buddies seen them earlier , I got back on them after they left. 'c' had his dad with him..kinda got late for them too stay.
gonna invite them here.
i'm tired now, write more later, this went down last, well 3 am this morning.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
That's a good haul, hopefully the rest hang around so you can expend some more ammo.

rich20730

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Joe! Have these guys come back yet? That was by far the most hogs I have ever seen in one place at one time. They pretty well had us surrounded.

This was the third time we've been out with Dehog and so far we've seen pigs each time. I guess me and Big C must be good luck. After getting off work Friday, grabbing our gear and sneaking out of the house as quickly as possible without getting trapped by the wife and kids, we managed to make it up to the dairy just a little before 8pm.

We parked the truck beside the barn, making sure to leave enough space so that we wouldn't be crushed to death by the ginormous leaning tower of haystack. Joe, who was busy setting up the gear in the side-by-side, greeted us with a handshake and a smile. Although Joe was friendly as always, I have to admit that I was a little disappointed that Joe didn't offer us the customary continental breakfast he had prepared for us on previous hunts. I want my Rice Krispie Treat Joe! Or at least a Nutter Butter!

Back to the hunt: Joe informed me that the hogs had been consistently hitting one of the the bait sites between 3:30-4:00 a.m. Upon hearing this news I began to mentally prepare myself for a late night. Since there was still plenty of light out and no apparent reason to hurry, we took our time unloading our gear from the truck and spent several minutes chatting. While in mid-conversation, I just happened to glance over at the field to the west of the barn. Right out there in broad daylight, about 500 yards from us, was what looked like a large herd of cows. "Wait, there definitely shouldn't be any cows out there in the middle of the cornfield." "Joe, are those... pigs?!?"

"Yup! We gotta move!" We quickly grabbed our rifles and loaded up in the side-by-side. We drove along the north fence line, as close to the road as possible. We finally parked near the bottom of a hill which was downwind and to the north/northwest of the pigs. The hogs were at the top of the hill, about 150 yards away.

*To be continued...

*Gotta pick the kids up from daycare. The story mostly gets depressing from here anyway. If Joe doesn't fill in the details in the meantime, I'll be back later to conclude this little adventure.

dehoganator

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
we ended up at a good firing distance as the smaller hogs moved to our left then behind us. being our third hunt we haven't got the sweep left , right. back up...ok clear shot at the matriarch, alpha group up....didn't swing far enough up to the left. the hogs broke...no fire the barns are in firing line.I heard "there coming at us from behind" that drew necessary attention, I said well they will go around us
lol. just 60 pounders or so.
that cost us more time than we had to get on the leaders of the pack so to speak.
sure glad you guys got in on a large sounder like that, I was in attack mode, sorry for the rudeness..the hogs bring it out in me.