Aebleskivers (A WHAT?)

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sunday was my Christmas. Gathered with family for the day. During my cast iron restoration efforts, I stumbled onto a YouTube rabbit trail on making Aebleskivers. I'd made a comment that I'd never heard of them, but KNEW I wanted an Aebleskiver pan. Guess what I got for Christmas!

What are Aebleskivers you ask? (Translation is "Apple Slices") Aebleskivers are an appetizing Danish food somewhat similar to American pancakes, and are about the size of a golf ball. Chunks of apple slices were initially used in their making. As the Aebleskivers batter begins to cook in this cast iron pan it is flipped with a skewer, giving the cakes their distinguishing round shape. Usually sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with raspberry jam, these small cakes are fun to eat and have a delicious taste that will keep you and the family coming back for more.

They can be sweet, add a dollop of jam (or canned fruit) in after pouring the batter. They can be savory, add bacon/ham, cheese after pouring in the batter. You can have some of each, the things inside are not incorporated into the batter before cooking them. You can make them plain, and then dip 'em in jam for the whole hot/cold effect.

The batter is very much like a waffle batter, and not as thin as pancake batter. In fact, boxed mix with the waffle making instructions works great. I also suggest prepping your filling goodies before hand. Once you get going, it can be a busy process. I've found that a long handled coffee scoop is a great batter portion used to fill the cups, and stays clean/upright in the bowl of batter. A meat skewer with a poke/lift motion rolls the good stuff... about a quarter turn at a time nets you the ball shaped goodie. Traditionally, a knitting needle was used.

On my gas range, lower level of heat works well, but the center is hotter than the edges. My buddy's induction cook top presents another challenge, in that the cups do not make contact with the element and activate. For both of these cook surfaces, I'm thinking that a disc of plate steel, JUST smaller in diameter of the pan's base ring would do the trick... radiating the heat more evenly for the gas, and making the connection for the induction top.

Yesterday, I did the Holiday twist with my batter and used Egg Nog for the liquid. Today, milk... and added shredded cheese as my filling. Well lubed is helpful... whether that's tiny bits of butter, or cooking spray.

CIAS7.jpg

Cast Iron Aebleskiver Pan | Camp Chef

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
look fun and tasty too!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So send us some of the finished product and we will give you our score. (Overnight is preferred for a better score)
It's kinda like shootin hogs...no proof...no hog.....no taste...no aebelskiver...just ain't real RD.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
look fun and tasty too!
Not bad for clean up. A bowl, whisk, scoop, plate, and condiment cup was all I had to wash. The cast iron is a wipe clean when done affair. Since it's just me here, I munch while making the next batch. And, yup, quite tasty.
So send us some of the finished product and we will give you our score. (Overnight is preferred for a better score)
You so kwazy!
It's kinda like shootin hogs...no proof...no hog.....no taste...no aebelskiver...just ain't real RD.
I'll enjoy my fantasy just the same. LOL