Advantages of Through-the-Scope Videography

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is why I like getting video. I learn stuff, sometimes stuff that does not make me happy, but it is information I can hopefully apply to the future.

There are 2 shooters. I am videoing our shots through my scope. Understanding what went wrong (or right) is a lot easier when the scope is on the rifle taking the shots. Part of the reason I did this is that my hunting partner's version of the events when the shooting was over differed from what I perceived occurred. He is off to the range to check the zero on his rifle.

As I told shooter, my unicorn ran out of beans and isn't farting rainbows right now. The video breaks down what went on without a lot of post-hoc rationalization. The net result is that we are out 4 rounds and there is one very scared and very much alive coyote right now.

One other thing, distances were estimated based on line of sight landmarks in the video and using Google Earth to estimate distances.

The evening wasn't a complete failure. We moved to a different location and my partner got a coyote there at about 50-60 yards. I whispered "coyote right" about a half second before my partner was pulling the trigger. He had already seen it. There was no time for video.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man I kept hoping for a HIT!

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
so did he Frank !!!!!!!!!

That coyote is a tough target at that range. I liked it and a nice clear video as you could see the impact of the hits.

Kick your unicorn in the butt and tell it you are looking for rainbows.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome video. That's exactly why I started recording my archery shots back in the late 90's. Depending on shot placement would determined how long I would wait to go track.

Learning along the way.

BTW those slow motion pings were awesome. Better luck next time.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There WAS time for a post-kill pic though. LOL

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What if the scope needs a bunch of firmware updates and doesn't display the reticle when recording... Wait that would never happen

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
That ping in slow motion with the volume turned up, hurts the ears.

Too darn bad you didn't get him on the last shot in the head, that would have been a great ending.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rover came over, so the ping could sing, eh?