A Tough Sow

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hunting with a buddy and spotted a large sounder in a pasture. We made our way along a tree line into a shooting position. Did the 3-2-1-SHOOT thing and hit two hogs. My buddy had staked out a fence post for a shooting rest, and to get close enough to hear him count I had to shoot offhand. My buddy's hog went down immediately. I hit my hog but didn't put it down immediately. Perhaps I'll get a shooting stick or tripod for Christmas?

The hog was facing to my left when I shot, and I had expected the hog to run that direction. Instead it came mostly toward us. That was a good thing because it took four more shots before it dropped. Five shots - five hits on a tough hog. I guess I can't exactly say I "Put it down like a boss!" :rolleyes:

The distance was about 170 yards, so I had set my scope on 4X which, given the 2.5X native magnification of the IR Hunter MKII I was using, meant I was looking at a 10X image. That became more obvious as the hog drew closer. I kept losing view of the hog in my sight with every shot, but managed to pick it up again each time.

I don't know why audio didn't record, I'll work on that. Meanwhile, here is my initial effort at videoing a hog shoot.

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
That was an incredible story and video... thanks for sharing. She was a tough hog.... ya have to respect how they keep moving and don’t give up. 5 shots of 180gr .308? Wow...

neorubio

LSB Active Member
Good video, very professional (I still have so much to learn...). Some hogs look like immortal. You need well placed shots or they run like they don't even notice the hits.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to stay on her for the kill!