A bit of excitement …

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I spotted a sounder of mature hogs about a half hour after sundown and moved in to shoot. I put one down, and tried to take out a runner. I scored one hit, but it kept going. I was in the path it wanted to take to get to the trees behind me. I experienced a weak round which didn't cycle the bolt, leaving me without a functioning rifle. Things got a little exciting for a few moments. I moved to the side and placed my shooting stick in front of me to fend away the hog. After a couple of seconds it decided to back off and take a different route to safety.

Last edited:

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That got a little western! Glad the pig turned. Good shooting!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That was freaking hilarious, the weak round! After that, yeah, sounds like it got rather exciting.

So you can't leave us hanging. Tell us about the ammo you are shooting.
Yeah, I figured that question would arise. It's a bit embarrassing 'cuz it's my own reloads. Not at all sure what happened. Did I miss a case and that was just the primer popping? Did I undercharge one (hard to imagine that, easier to assume I skipped one).

I suspect it was an empty case, but in truth I'm not sure of the real cause. It did make for an exciting outing, though.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Definitely makes for a "Ruh-row" moment for ya. But? One sow down, with eight piglets on board... doesn't that count as nine dead pigs? I'm putting my money on your attacker being soon dead as well. Ya might get a little help from the local 'yotes to finish him off, but, he was hit pretty solid. That was crazy, seeing that pill just puke on out of the tube like that.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looked like you experienced the classic "fight or flight" example of hog hunting.
Tough to keep your feet planted while chambering a good/hot round!
Good job, and Keep after 'em!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That was CRAZY from the time your rifle belched a bullet. Glad you were no worse for wear after that little rodeo.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hog down and glad things didn't end up bad!!

Last edited: