9 down

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Out hunting again last night and it was fairly productive. It was in the low 80's and extremely dark with no moon. Around 23:00 I spotted the first sounder with the W-1000 at 500-550 yards. Closed the distance to within 50-60 yards and found 2 sows with a mess of piglets. First shot was the alpha sow and down she went. It took me a second to find the other sow and hit her as she went in the woods. Piglets were scattering everywhere and was able to get 2 before they were gone. A friend of mine that lives 10 mins from this field is having a BBQ this weekend and it wasn't to late so I called him. He came out and took the hams and backstrap off the sow and the 2 piglets whole.
DSC01198_zps2067ddf1.jpg

IMG_2139_zpsf045fcae.jpg

Around 03:00 I spotted another small sounder at around 600-650 yards. Made the walk and got set up. The field now has 4' square bales in it and they were close to the woods so I was only able to get 1 piglet after I dropped this small 140-150 lb boar.
DSC01202_zpsbf099c14.jpg

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's about time you started killing some hogs. Who's the guy stealing your backstraps?

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think I liked the pics of your blonde friend better!!

Looks like the 24 in front of the ACOG is working well. Given the darkness of the moon last night, I think it was about 3%, did you need to use the IR Illum ?

Nice night and should be a great BBQ.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like her pics better too!!!

It was dark and yes I had to use an illuminator. The second group I shot with the laser because there were a lot of bales in that section and that caused the illuminator to wash out the PVS-24.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have had the same problem, that is why I asked-to see if there is a solution !!

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
An illuminator with multiple power settings will help because you can give it only the light you need. You run the Dbal like I do, it only has low and high and in close like a lot of us hunt the low setting is still to much. I will take a luna tonight because I can dial in just what I need. You can also turn down the gain on the PVS-24 if the dbal is to bright.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hunt, congrats.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice work man!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
very nice

like the rig

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
3 more last night but left the camera at home got these 2 with the iPhone.
DSC01195_zps10297f38.jpg

What caliber is the iPhone !?

Good lookin' piggies there.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I was going to ask the same question RD.

Good shooting Eric.