6.8 Barrel length

Jefe

LSB Member
What are y'alls thoughts on barrel length for 6.8. I'm looking at going 6.8 pistol, but don't want to rob myself of performance with too short of a barrel. I'm thinking of a 12.5" barrel, but didn't know where the sweet spot is on a 6.8. I've briefly looked online, but it doesn't seem as clear cut as with something like .300 BLK.

I'm primarily going to be using this for hogs and deer. So is it even worth going to a shorter barrel, or should I just stick with 16? I'm looking to suppress which ever one I end up going with.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Go for the 12.5" *** barrel in 6.8.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I suggest nothing shorter than a 12.5" barrel. As far as 12.5" vs 16" it depends on the type of shooting you do. If you hunt pretty much stationary the 16" might be a better choice. I do a lot of walking and in/out of the truck so the 12.5" is better for me.

The 16" is going to have more range and be about 140 fps faster than the 12.5". Just some things to think about.

Also you stated a pistol. Hunting/shooting on a pistol configuration is not ideal. If you aren't going to SBR it I'd go with the 16".

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I agree with the above.
I went with the 12.5" *** 6.8 barrels and did SBR's.
Couldnt be any happier. They are handy, accurate and comfortable.
Depends on the bullet but your roughly 125-150fps slower vs the 16".
I set mine up for the Max Point Blank Range on what im hunting and i only lost 25 yards goin from the 16" to 12.5" with 115gr bullets.

Jefe

LSB Member
Thanks guys. I ended up with a 16" Modern Carbine MC6. I think I'm going to end up SBR'ing a .300 BLK eventually with a good can on it. I figured that I'd run both platforms around their original designs. Next stop is getting a suppressor and thermal for this rig and I'll be in good company while in the dog house for a long long time!