322 lb Boar and 3 Piglets

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Took Ben (HuntTXhogs) down to Bosque County as the Hessian was unavailable. He asked how things normally go and that is how they went for this evening as well.

Spotted this big boy just as the sun was going down by the trees on the far side of the oats field. Made a long, round about stalk to get into position. Just before we started shooting, if you turn the volume up on the video, I exclaimed, "HOLY CRAP.....Are you sure that is a hog??" Then you may want to turn the volume back down.

This is a hog that was caught on one of the game cameras 2 or 3 weeks ago that I told the landowner that I would prefer hunting from a tree stand.

Had trouble finding all the wounds on him. Found 6 wounds for 7 shots fired, one of which was an exit, but could not find the entry. My last shot glanced the top of his skull as he was running and finally dropped him, although several previous shots were definitely lethal. Even so, he was still not dead and we used a pistol to finish him.

Tried hunting predators for a while in the next pasture and didn't see squat.

Went back to the oats and then found a bunch of piglets. They were closer and smaller than I realized. We only found 3 despite looking for the better part of an hour.

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Another great video Brian. Your dead pig counter must be getting WAY up into the jealousy range.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice, huge boar!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DANG!!!!!!! And a Curly Shuffle to boot!!! Heck of a hog!!! BANG BANG!!!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very nice boar there Brian!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That was a nice size boar, needed at least the 6.5 on that one and one of the reasons I tell folks hog hunting to leave their 556/300BO at home...just in case...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Holy Moly! That's a beast ! Nice chootin'. Gonna European Mount that one? Nice cutters on him.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If nothing else, pull his cutters. BRD will be proud of ya too.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very Nice Boar Brian congrats! I'm curious had he been recently wallowing was he wet? I ask because it seems like the thermal is showing his shield as cold.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very Nice Boar Brian congrats! I'm curious had he been recently wallowing was he wet? I ask because it seems like the thermal is showing his shield as cold.

A lot of that was caked on mud. The hog was dry to the touch EXCEPT on some areas where there was damp mud. The hog had been wet earlier in the day and was still drying out.

You can see it pretty good here...

100_2532.jpg

So he had some thermal camo action working for him.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
I'm glad the 6x45mm was able to assist the 6.5 Grendel in anchoring this hog.

I tried for a well placed first shot to drop him where he stood but wasn't able to connect in the boiler room.

They're tough animals and I was not only fortunate to have had your support fire but more so your comradarie and invitation to join on the hunt!

C.S.M.F !!!

HTXH

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good Job Guys!!! Some serious Cutters on that Hoss!

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is one biggun. Good shoot.

TomH FW

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Woo-hoo. Great job.