300 bo strikes again

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Verdict is still out. Hit a nice size hog in the shoulder area on the run with no recovery and hit this one on the run in the head so it keeled over of course. Both were 50 yds or less running through brushy area, so not ideal situation but hate losing one.31118.jpg

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sorry about the one that got away. But one in the hand...

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 300 blackout probably didn't even penetrate the hide in the shoulder of that bigger one. We all know the 6.8 would have left a basketball sized hole in him and triple backflipped him though

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea Blakester, I know what you mean! So I have shot 5 hogs with this, 3 drt's and 1 I shot in the rump so that doesn't count really count as a loss so much and the one today on the run. I could've shot it too far back also so clearly I need to keep shooting to get more data! My 6.8 is a tank and this thing i could shot 1 handed, it is light, so it has become my "go to" gun right now.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good grief you are slaying them out there! Congrats on the new brush gun!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I posted a video last December in which I shot a 140 or so pound sow five times with a .308 before she dropped. Sometimes they just keep going if you don't hit the spinal column.

LSB Active Member
Dan you are on a tear! On the other end of the spectrum I'm on a cold streak of 5 straight hunts of nada. Last night I saw 2 possums. 5500 acres and 1 doe! Nothing is moving around the last 10 days I went woods stalking last night along the edge of the swamp to mix it up. Keep after it Dan nice work!

Do you do any baiting? We have a new experiment with trying to lure them from the woods with a no holds barred smorgasbord of roll barrels and holes plus hand corn no closer than 100 yards from any cover. So far no takers. We put it in our one section where cows are kept from it so hoping we get some action from it barrels in play today. You have any saucy secrets for luring them out into the open or is woods stalking your modus operandi?

Last edited:

LSB Active Member
The 300 blackout probably didn't even penetrate the hide in the shoulder of that bigger one. We all know the 6.8 would have left a basketball sized hole in him and triple backflipped him though

That's nothing my AK round bounces off them I can't even get through the 'shield'.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do you do any baiting? We have a new experiment with trying to lure them from the woods with a no holds barred smorgasbord of roll barrels and holes plus hand corn no closer than 100 yards from any cover. So far no takers. We put it in our one section where cows are kept from it so hoping we get some action from it barrels in play today. You have any saucy secrets for luring them out into the open or is woods stalking your modus operandi?

437 - Maybe you are already doing this, but try... soured corn in your dug holes.
Start with 5 gal bucket(s) filled only about 1/2 full corn, add a packet of dried bread yeast, and a box of strawberry jello mix (2 small or 1 large), add enough warm water to cover the corn plus about 1 to 2 inches to kick start the yeast, stir with a shovel. Cover with bucket lid.
Check water level next day or two and add water to keep level just over top of corn...
Store in the sun or keep warm if possible to keep the yeast working...
Stir with a shovel occasionally to check on stinkyness.
After a week or so your nose will tell you it is ready for the hogs... Pour it into your dug holes and get ready to defend your position!

LSB Active Member
Yup our holes are soured hideous stank. They will come to soured holes next to the woods, but not out further. Thanks though! Last batch cooked for 10 days was simply atrocious! I think with how our property is laid out and having had the southern edge with feeders for the last 20 years they know there is no reason to go out into the open. If we shut off the feeders for a season I bet that would get 'em motivated though. Who knows

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea Blakester, I know what you mean! So I have shot 5 hogs with this, 3 drt's and 1 I shot in the rump so that doesn't count really count as a loss so much and the one today on the run. I could've shot it too far back also so clearly I need to keep shooting to get more data! My 6.8 is a tank and this thing i could shot 1 handed, it is light, so it has become my "go to" gun right now.

You are on 'em Dan. Keep it up and don't worry too much about one or two making it to the trees. Very likely it is door nail dead just out of sight !

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you using that super Duper black tipped bullet or something else?
I am using Hornady 110 gr Full Boar. I had to order them on line. Can't find much selection around here.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You have any saucy secrets for luring them out into the open or is woods stalking your modus operandi?
I don't do any baiting unless trapping. Just love to sneak around in the brush and jump them or spot them before they spot me. Lately I have only been out for a couple hours a week so they haven't figured me out yet I think.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
For the (S&N) sneeking and peeking stuff,you need to build or buy a AR "pistol" chambered in 300BLK,6.8SPC,or 7.62 X 39.
As long as you stick with the bbls between 10.5 and 12.5 inches you still got plenty of velocity out to a couple hundred yards or so.
Put a small variable on top . . . I am partial to the 2-7X33 Leupold with heavy duplex. Keep it set to 2X for going in "deep".
These little guns are not only somewhat lighter,but also very compact for fast in and out of a truck or UTV,stays closer to the body when slung either single point or double,and quick to swing onto a target.
Good Huntin'. ---- pruhdlr SANY0066.JPG

LSB Active Member
I don't do any baiting unless trapping. Just love to sneak around in the brush and jump them or spot them before they spot me. Lately I have only been out for a couple hours a week so they haven't figured me out yet I think.

Great work! I've got a few spots near the swamp I can get in there, but these darn palmettos make visibility darn near 0 beyond where you are standing. Walk and stalk is my fav....keep after it Danno!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ouch... MUST STOP gnawing on tongue! LOL

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That is the bullet that I use in my Benelli MR1. It is a 223Rem 16" with a 1:9 twist. Have killed hogs,deer,and coyotes with this bullet.
Most always a pass thru with a quarter sized exit wound. I shoot ONLY heart/lung shots on all three animals with this gun/load. --- pruhdlr DSC00812.JPG