260 lb Boar, Male Coyote, and Possible Beaver - More Cavity Back Bullets

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ever see one of those videos where a train hits a snow bank and the snow just explodes into the sky? That is what this boar did as he tried to run away, but instead of snow, he did it with plain old earth.

The evaluation on the Cavity Back Bullets is going well. Recovered two from the boar. They did a nice job on the boar at distance.

Still waiting on the landowner to let me know about the beavers from last night. We were on one of his remote ponds. I am hopeful that one or more will float to the surface today and he will find them, but who knows? We had broken open a portion of their dam. If it doesn't get repaired, then I am thinking the beavers have been handled, for now.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yet Another Great Video!

Keep after 'em!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Most excellent work there B !! Three species in a single night is some good hunting! Amazing, the force of that face plant.

Andrew Wallace

LSB Member
What a great video Brian! Carpe sus indeed! Very nice work on your trifecta.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video!! Nice long distance shot ... down they go!

Night Owl

LSB Member
Have you started to reload Brian? I know you once said that you solely use factory ammo. I'd like to hear your comparisons between these projectiles and the Hornady SST's. I've got two 6.5 Grendel's of my own so I'm curious about these Cavity Back Bullets.

That was a pretty spectacular nose dive that boar did too.

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have you started to reload Brian? I know you once said that you solely use factory ammo. I'd like to hear your comparisons between these projectiles and the Hornady SST's. I've got two 6.5 Grendel's of my own so I'm curious about these Cavity Back Bullets.

That was a pretty spectacular nose dive that boar did too.

Yeah, I have watched that nose dive 20 or 30 times and still it impresses me. :)

No, not reloading. CBB provided me with the bullets as ammunition to test, as I don't reload.

So far, I have no qualms with the CBB MKZ bullets. That is where I start. I expect a given product to work and CBBs certainly do. They are a monolithic bullet and so are going to perform differently than my normal SSTs (semi frangible) or Berger VLD-hunting (very frangible) ammo that I have used in the past.

Accuracy out of my rifle has been very good, a bit under 1 MOA for the 105s and under .5 MOA for the 118s, not that I normally shoot off of sandbags in the field, so apparently any misses definitely have to be blamed on the shooter.

From my testing so far, the MKZ bullets burrow is nice hole through the animal. As with other bullets, results vary quite a bit when hitting heavier bone. When not hitting heavy bone, the bullets retain their 3 primary petals.

The heavier 118 bullet tends to open and stay open wider than the 105s, no doubt as a result of going more slowly and having thicker petals.

Given all the pollutants put out by more frangible rounds like the SST into the meat (I have mentioned finding granules of lead in the meat from SSTs previously), I think that if I was a meat hunter, I would want to go with something like a CBB MKZ.

The ammo I was provided was loaded a bit light, so had a bit lower velocities than I would have wanted (it is testing after all), but the performance of the CBB MKZ was still good.

So what's not to like?