.22 magnum JHP for hogs?

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I carry my 17 HMR all the time to shoot coons off my protein feeder while stand hunting. I have shot several hogs with it as Brian said in the brain not the ear. It works but lots of room to make a mistake but I am safe and sound in my stand so no big deal. It is kind of cool to watch a 200 pound hog drop in his tracks from such a small round.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do it..... Had more fun with a suppressed 22lr AR hunting hogs than any other rifle. Had a 357 on my hip jus in case. You get good with that, it makes anything bigger a breeze to drop um with..... And I like to hear I'm squeal.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"The problem with "in the ear" is that it is rather vague. Here is a double, "in the ear" shot as well as a head shot. This hog should be dead three times. It was with a .308 hollowpoint. It was well less than 100 yards and was not effective. This hog had to be dropped while running and then finally a coup de grace shot was administered once downed."
....... To add to what Brian said, we went to my dad's for Father's Day weekend and my brother in law encountered a zombie hog for his first hog kill. It was about 130 lbs and about a 60 yd shot with a 6.8 spc/ 120 hornady sst. Took FOUR neck shots to finally anchor him (video tmrw.. Almost done condensing and editing the story/videos from the weekend). Here's a pic with his thumb, middle, and fore fingers over 3 possible entrance wounds. We think the obvious trauma on his neck was from a grazing bullet.
So if a 130 lb hog might need 4 neck shots (in rare circumstances, but nonetheless... I watched it happen fri night and will post vid tmrw) from a 120 grain .277 cal bullet traveling 2400 fps, then I'd say that a .22 mag isn't a great option, unless you're dispatching them in traps at close range or unless u can quickly easily and repeatably hit a quarter at 100 yds with one.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That shot is a prime example of how to get a zombie hog. There's a space above the spine there that some call the meat pocket, nothing vital if you miss the spine, but hope for shock. Usually requires a kill shot. That is where I have shot hogs only to have them get up and boogie.M091820.jpg

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
....just checked that video you guys were watching and they STILL haven't shot that hog! As quiet as they were they must have been working on their narration explaining "the glorious wildlife in Texas!"

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I completely agree dan you're right about hitting high on he neck. But those three shots covering his fingers were a little farther back and "low enough" after skinning him from my experience considering he was about 125 at 60 yds with a 6.8 and hornady SSTs.