2 Coyotes Down w IR Hunter MKIII & Cavity Back Bullets

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got a new place to hunt hogs and the landowner wants pretty much everything else bothersome gone as well (coyotes, bobcats, skunks, armadillos, poisonous snakes). Did some scouting on the property and found a nice, isolated little pond that had some wallows and fresh hog prints in it and so I trimmed the wild plum trees from on edge of the pond and cut a tunnel into the side of a thicket of trees and had a nice little tree-cave from which to watch the pond. This pond is situation in a strange location in that it is at the north end of the property, bordered to the west and north by high fence and a road to the east. I set up less than 100 yards from the north fence and so am pretty sure nothing would be coming in from behind me, maybe from the south or from the east, but not north or west. Well, tt must be the morning or day hogs visiting because none showed up that evening, but a couple of coyotes did...

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job Brian! Good shooting too!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job stopping that first one and good shot!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sit (Ubu), SIT... good dog(s).

Nice chootin' B!

Night Owl

LSB Member
Good shooting! Any comments yet on how that Pulsar unit stacks up against your IR?

Looking forward,as always, to more of your vids.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am still learning how to use the Pulsar. It is more complicated than the IR, but that is really because it has so many more options to choose from to customize the user experience. So for ease of use with the least amount of reading, the IR Hunter wins, but for being able to set up specific custom features, the firmware of the Pulsar is outstanding.

It is a 1.6x scope. So in terms of magnification, I can't really compare it to my IRH MKIII at 4.5x for image quality because they are so far apart. I will say that the image quality is good for a 1.6x 640 resolution scope.

I DO LIKE the onboard rechargeable battery. It is the 8 hour battery. I don't know if it will go the full 8 hours or not, but I suspect it will go a very long time. I ran it for a bit over six and a quarter last night and my hunt was over and there was still battery left. The meter looked like 1/4 but as it is with battery meters, it is hard to translate battery levels into minutes/hours. They don't really convert directly.

I plan to get it on a rifle next week and will start hunting with it. Tonight, I have been experimenting with the wifi and remote viewing with my phone. This is a really cool feature that I cannot see having much need for given the way I hunt most of the time. It works really well, but is a specialty tool. I can see that for some group hunting situations where it could be really cool. I plan to use it in the stand when I go hunting with my daughter and I can watch her shooting. :)

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good coyotes down! What bug suit? I hate mosquitoes!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good coyotes down! What bug suit? I hate mosquitoes!!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYITEUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I have. I did not wear the pants because I figured that they would snag everything and I wasn't terribly worried about skeeters or gnats biting through the pants to get to me. I was wearing OFF with the suit, FYI.

The bug suit is just a mesh set of over-clothing. So if you are a large you probably want to by XL or XXL to cover all your clothing with the suit. That is has the fake leafy covering is triply helpful in that it also provides additional protection, helps camo you a bit, and helps keep the mesh from getting snagged in briars. It can still get snagged, of course, but the leave help alleviate some of this.

There are a couple of downsides. One is that it does add a layer to what you are wearing and so is warmer to have on, though is quite ventilated. Second, the mesh does affect your vision. Your personal night vision will be diminished to some extent, but I had no problem looking through a scope with it.

There are versions you can find that are just mesh, without the leaves. Just search on "bug suit"

Andrew Wallace

LSB Member
Nice dogs down. PewPew!